PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Error in finding last row with data

RCPT
04-26-2022, 03:20 AM
Hello,

I am having trouble with the code line for looping until last row with data. It returns "Out of range" error, and I already read about it, but I can't find a reason for the error. The sheet name, column and data exist.

This is what I am using

lrow = wsc.ListObjects("SheetName").Range.Columns(2).Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

Anyone can help?

Thank you for your time,

Rute

arnelgp
04-26-2022, 06:05 AM
Dim l As ListObject
Set l = ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1)
Debug.Print l.DataBodyRange.Rows.Count + 1 'add 1 for the Header

RCPT
04-28-2022, 02:27 AM
Thank you.
I've tried out your code but it still loops to the end of excel and not to the last row with data. That is happening in all of my modules. When it needs to identify the last row for an instruction it just takes forever to run.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers

georgiboy
04-28-2022, 02:44 AM
Are you using a range/ table or a pivot table?

SamT
04-28-2022, 02:54 AM
Find(Previous, After:=Header. . .)
Or
LRow = Cells(2, 1).End(xlDown).Row

RCPT
04-28-2022, 05:31 AM
I'm using tables for all of them

georgiboy
04-28-2022, 05:41 AM
Then the below, keep in mind that 'PostHarvest_Plan' is the name of the table and not the name of the worksheet:

lrow = wsc.ListObjects("PostHarvest_Plan").DataBodyRange.Rows.Count + 1

RCPT
04-28-2022, 05:49 AM
Find(Previous, After:=Header. . .)
Or
LRow = Cells(2, 1).End(xlDown).Row

Thank you. I've tried that. The result is the same...

RCPT
04-28-2022, 05:54 AM
Then the below, keep in mind that 'PostHarvest_Plan' is the name of the table and not the name of the worksheet:

lrow = wsc.ListObjects("PostHarvest_Plan").DataBodyRange.Rows.Count + 1

Thank you, but it persists...

snb
04-28-2022, 05:54 AM
As you may have noticed you could speak of 'doubly posted'.
Since this question is part of a code that would better be replaced by somewhat simpler code; see http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29684&d=1651142396

RCPT
04-28-2022, 09:46 AM
As you may have noticed you could speak of 'doubly posted'.
Since this question is part of a code that would better be replaced by somewhat simpler code; see http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29684&d=1651142396

As I understand Advancedfilter cannot be used when there are blanks amongst the data set which is the case of my file.
The problem with finding the last row persists in several modules that's why I posted in different threads.
Thank you for your time

snb
04-28-2022, 12:02 PM
You misunderstood the prerequisites for advancedfilter.

p45cal
04-29-2022, 04:33 AM
trouble with the code line for looping until last row with dataI'm guessing the trouble is with whatever code you're using for looping; post that.

Paul_Hossler
04-29-2022, 09:40 AM
Or post a workbook with the troublesome table and the macro

RCPT
04-29-2022, 10:17 AM
Or post a workbook with the troublesome table and the macro

I have tried the two approaches in the modules of this workbook and both fail. The loop goes beyond the number of rows of the tables from which is retrieving data.

The tool I'm building will be filled in by different people and will potentially increment quickly, so I just want to make sure that as the table grows all data is included in the macro.

Should I have another approach?

Thank you,

Rute

Paul_Hossler
04-29-2022, 11:46 AM
Is that the correct workbook?

I don't see any ListObjects in it, but the previous suggestions referred to ListObjects

edit

I'm thinking the long loop is because you're playing with the loop counter where <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< marked

I haven't tried to figure out what you're really doing, but maybe something like the uncommented version

' With wsc3
' For trow = 2 To lrow3 'starts at 2 because of the header row
'
' If Len(Trim(wsc4.Cells(crow, 7).Text)) > 0 Then
' wsd.Cells(drow, 4).End(xlUp).Value = .Cells(trow, 7).Text
'
' trow = trow + 1 ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
' End If
'
' wsd.Cells(drow, 3).Value = .Cells(crow, 4).Value
' drow = drow + 1
' Next crow
' End With

With wsc3
For trow = 2 To lrow3 'starts at 2 because of the header row

If Len(Trim(wsc4.Cells(crow, 7).Text)) > 0 Then
wsd.Cells(drow, 4).End(xlUp).Value = .Cells(trow, 7).Text

Else
wsd.Cells(drow, 3).Value = .Cells(crow, 4).Value
drow = drow + 1
End If
Next crow
End With
End Sub

Probably no difference but setting trow = 3 doesn't really do anything since the loop counter starts it = 2 right away

trow = 3

With wsc3

RCPT
05-01-2022, 05:10 AM
Is that the correct workbook?

I don't see any ListObjects in it, but the previous suggestions referred to ListObjects

edit

I'm thinking the long loop is because you're playing with the loop counter where <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< marked

I haven't tried to figure out what you're really doing, but maybe something like the uncommented version

' With wsc3
' For trow = 2 To lrow3 'starts at 2 because of the header row
'
' If Len(Trim(wsc4.Cells(crow, 7).Text)) > 0 Then
' wsd.Cells(drow, 4).End(xlUp).Value = .Cells(trow, 7).Text
'
' trow = trow + 1 ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
' End If
'
' wsd.Cells(drow, 3).Value = .Cells(crow, 4).Value
' drow = drow + 1
' Next crow
' End With

With wsc3

If Len(Trim(wsc4.Cells(crow, 7).Text)) > 0 Then
wsd.Cells(drow, 4).End(xlUp).Value = .Cells(trow, 7).Text

Else
wsd.Cells(drow, 3).Value = .Cells(crow, 4).Value
drow = drow + 1
End If
Next crow
End With
End Sub

Probably no difference but setting trow = 3 doesn't really do anything since the loop counter starts it = 2 right away

trow = 3

With wsc3

snb
05-01-2022, 05:22 AM
Please, please do not, not quote, use the correct reply button.

RCPT
05-01-2022, 05:26 AM

This is just one of the problems with the lrow code. In this case I could replicate what is happening in the original workbook in this one.

I just need the rows/columns nominated in the code to be copied to the second sheet.
However what is happening is that it is copying beyond the established table (until row: 1300) and it increases the table indefinitely.

I have tried many different ways to calculate the lrow according to suggestions, but can't make them work.

One of the things that I wondered may be causing problems is that I use formulas with "IF" that ensure that when the main formula does not have the required data it should return "" (eg.: =IF('SheetN'!U1301="";"";'SheetN'!U1301); I'm figuring it's being considered by the Macro as text or value of some kind and not an unaltered cell. Could that be the origin of the problem?

But in all sheets of my original workbook, variances of the same problem occur.

I understand my code is very rudimentary and there are other approaches as the one suggested by snb, but I don't know enough to simplify the coding as proposed (for example without calling the same sheet several times). I also want to have it in such a way that the colleagues that will maintain the tool in the future will be able to see the reference to columns and rows.

Your help is appreciated, because I'm the one in a loop right now.

Cheers,

RT

Paul_Hossler
05-01-2022, 06:29 AM
Please, please do not, not quote, use the correct reply button.

@RCPT -- And if it is necessary to include quoted , edit out the non-pertinent text, the macros, text that does not get referred to, etc.

E.G.

Please ... do ... not quote, use ....

Paul_Hossler
05-01-2022, 06:52 AM
Your table has 1301 rows, of which only 76 have meaningful (i.e. non-zero) data in column A

The 'multiplier' in column C = 5 for all 1301 rows, including the 'empty' ones at the end

So there are (1301 - 76) x 5 = 6125 additional unneeded rows added to the destination

Try something like this

lrow = wsc.ListObjects("Pharma_ref").DataBodyRange.Rows.Count + 1

With wsc

For crow = 2 To lrow 'starts at 2 because of the header row

Application.StatusBar = "Copy Row " & crow ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If wsc.Cells(crow, 1).Value = 0 Then Exit For ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

multiplier = wsc.Cells(crow, 3).Value 'copies the value in column c

For i = 1 To multiplier

wsd.Cells(drow, 5).Value = .Cells(crow, 1).Value
wsd.Cells(drow, 3).Value = .Cells(crow, 2).Value

drow = drow + 1 'increasing the row in worksheet destination

Next i

Next crow

End With

Application.StatusBar = False ' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

RCPT
05-02-2022, 02:57 AM
VBAtests_lrow.xlsm (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29697&d=1651407056)

This is just one of the problems with the lrow code. In this case I could replicate what is happening in the original workbook in this one.

I just need the rows/columns nominated in the code to be copied to the second sheet.
However what is happening is that it is copying beyond the established table (until row: 1300) and it increases the table indefinitely.

I have tried many different ways to calculate the lrow according to suggestions, but can't make them work.

One of the things that I wondered may be causing problems is that I use formulas with "IF" that ensure that when the main formula does not have the required data it should return "" (eg.: =IF('SheetN'!U1301="";"";'SheetN'!U1301); I'm figuring it's being considered by the Macro as text or value of some kind and not an unaltered cell. Could that be the origin of the problem?

But in all sheets of my original workbook, variances of the same problem occur.

I understand my code is very rudimentary and there are other approaches as the one suggested by snb, but I don't know enough to simplify the coding as proposed (for example without calling the same sheet several times). I also want to have it in such a way that the colleagues that will maintain the tool in the future will be able to see the reference to columns and rows.

Your help is appreciated, because I'm the one in a loop right now.

Cheers,

RT

Aussiebear
05-02-2022, 04:04 AM
@RCPT, What the hell are you up to? This last post is an exact copy word for word of the post you made Yesterday at 10:47pm. There's nothing new here to show that you have gained from any of the assistance that you have been given. Further more you were politely asked not to fully "Quote", a previous reply unless there's something pertinent within the reply. In fact you were asked to "only Quote" the relevant section to which was causing an issue, but still you insist on filling up a post with non-relevant phraseology. Are you seriously interested in finding a solution or are you one of those people who find some pleasure in plucking feathers from a non existing chicken?

Paul_Hossler
05-02-2022, 09:11 AM
Paul has left the building

RCPT
05-02-2022, 01:56 PM
Your table has 1301 rows, of which only 76 have meaningful (i.e. non-zero) data in column A

The 'multiplier' in column C = 5 for all 1301 rows, including the 'empty' ones at the end

So there are (1301 - 76) x 5 = 6125 additional unneeded rows added to the destination

Try something like this =

Thank you for your help. I´ve just tried. It worked!
Cheers