PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommand an obfuscator for xlsm?

here
10-10-2022, 12:50 PM
Hi, I have a project that I want to obfuscate. Just to make the code a little harder to read to turn off nosey users. I did some searching but none seems to do the job... Anyone has a recommandation? Thank you in advance.

Logit
10-10-2022, 06:52 PM
I've tried the following and found it to be fairly good at its job. The main issue found with obfuscators is the need to manually convert unrecognized code variables.
https://www.spreadsheet1.com/excel-vba-code-obfuscation.html

(https://www.spreadsheet1.com/excel-vba-code-obfuscation.html)

georgiboy
10-10-2022, 10:23 PM
Not an obfuscator but it will block the average user from the code, click the button, select the file to protect (xlsx / xlxm), find the file appended with 'Protected' in the same location. You will get a 'project not viewable' message when you try to view the code but the code will work.

here
10-10-2022, 10:40 PM
Not an obfuscator but it will block the average user from the code, click the button, select the file to protect (xlsx / xlxm), find the file appended with 'Protected' in the same location. You will get a 'project not viewable' message when you try to view the code but the code will work.

I checked this one out, the obfusctor is too simple and it often breaks things such as custom buttons etc. The unviewable feature is not a reliable either, it can be easily worked around. Actually there are tools that can just open and see all the code...

snb
10-11-2022, 01:30 AM
What will be the damage if users can see the code ?

here
10-20-2022, 11:26 PM
I believe there is no way to stop people from seeing the code, thus I'm trying to obfuscate it?

What will be the damage if users can see the code ?

Aussiebear
10-21-2022, 12:15 AM
What are the chances you may need to repair or readjust the code in the future? From what I've read once you obfuscate it can't be undone so you need to keep a clean copy somewhere safe and then just obfuscate the public version.

here
10-21-2022, 12:21 AM
What are the chances you may need to repair or readjust the code in the future? From what I've read once you obfuscate it can't be undone so you need to keep a clean copy somewhere safe and then just obfuscate the public version.

Yes, that is the plan. Will only obfuscate the verion to be released...

SamT
10-21-2022, 03:33 AM
Roll your own:

Organize Lists of all Names; Subs, Functions, Parameters, Variables.
Use the same Names in all different Parameters and inner Variables
Insure all Subs and Function have the same number of Parameters.
Use Colons to double up lines
Replace all Names with LCase "L" followed by a 15 digit binary number
Choose a Project Font where "l" looks like a "one"
Remove all type Declarations; (Dim, Const, Private, and Public "As Type" Statements)

Use your imagination.

georgiboy
10-21-2022, 03:41 AM
could also add a load of sub routines/ functions that are not even used in the spreadsheet just for effect, class modules will also help to scare people off' full of unused obfuscated code.

Aussiebear
10-21-2022, 04:11 AM
I'm voting for SamT to be the next senior writer for the 'Bourne" Movies.