PDA

View Full Version : How do I get one cell color to change based on another cell color that changes?

ksinley
10-27-2022, 06:35 AM
How do I get one cells background color to change based on another cells background color?

For example, if I change A1 color to blue, B1 will change to blue. If I change A3 to red, B3 will be red…etc.

georgiboy
10-31-2022, 03:51 AM
If the colours are changing due to a change of values on the sheet then conditional formatting may be the way to go?

Is there a logic as to why you change the cell colours?

ksinley
10-31-2022, 05:28 AM
I created a work list of stuff I need to do on a day to day basis. It changes daily for certain projects I will need to work on over others due to priority changes.

I use styles to manually color code areas based on what I need to do or wait for awhile based on what I’m told or using my best judgement.

The layout I have is where I like to color code 2 areas on stuff I will need to work on for the day to help me quickly view what needs to be done. One area is the main text, the other is a more detailed area on what the text is about. I have other stuff in between, like check marks and such.

It will be helpful if I can just change 1 box and have the other change automatically. I know it’s a small change but it’s just more convenient.

georgiboy
10-31-2022, 06:08 AM
I was thinking of having a drop down list like:
Active
Waiting Information
Paused
Complete
Etc...

You could select an item from the drop down list, this would then change the colour of multiple cells on the same row. This can be done with conditional formatting. You would not need to mess about with the colour picker etc...

ksinley
10-31-2022, 09:52 AM
I was thinking of having a drop down list like:
Active
Waiting Information
Paused
Complete
Etc...

You could select an item from the drop down list, this would then change the colour of multiple cells on the same row. This can be done with conditional formatting. You would not need to mess about with the colour picker etc...

Ok that part worked for me. One other question though, how could I make a certain cell like a button format for the drop-down list? That way I can click on the whole cell and not a little drop down arrow in the corner for the drop down menu to appear?

ashleymoore
11-09-2022, 08:05 PM
How do I get one cells background color to change based on another cells background color?

For example, if I change A1 color to blue, B1 will change to blue. If I change A3 to red, B3 will be red…etc.

Have a look at this post. A suggestion was proposed to essentially the same question:
https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/capturing-cell-color-change-in-vba.574405/

ksinley
11-11-2022, 09:42 AM
Have a look at this post. A suggestion was proposed to essentially the same question:
https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/capturing-cell-color-change-in-vba.574405/

Thank you for your answer. I actually solved my issue using conditional formatting. But one thing I do wanna do is to change a cell into a drop down button. So if you click on a cell, the whole thing will show a drop down list for you to change. But I do not want a floating button. I want it locked into the cell. And I plan on having multiple ones that do that.

If there’s any way you could help me on that, would be greatly appreciated!

Aussiebear
11-11-2022, 01:36 PM
If all you are needing is a dropdown list, go to Microsoft Support and search for how to create a dropdown list.