PDA

View Full Version : Unrecognized text on different computer

ksinley
11-28-2022, 12:55 PM
I have created “If” statement formulas in excel which works fine on my pc, but when another co-worker tried to open up my exact same file on his pc, it says #NAME?, then when I hover over the error, it says “Unrecognized text”, what could be going on with that issue?

I made sure the formulas are exactly the same and double checked to make sure they are referenced to the correct cells.

arnelgp
11-28-2022, 05:26 PM
you can google what are the common cause of #NAME error in excel.

Aussiebear
11-28-2022, 07:47 PM
"#Name" errors normally come about spelling issues. Please check spelling including ensuring the names are the same Length and Case

ksinley
12-01-2022, 05:14 AM
Ok, now my file is all the sudden saying unrecognized text. It was working yesterday, I did not change anything. So why is it all the sudden doing this?

georgiboy
12-01-2022, 05:22 AM
Without seeing the file and with the detail we have currently it is like me asking you "Why is my leg hurting?"

Can you supply a file or at least a lot more detail i.e.
What is the formula in question?
What functions are you using within the If statement?
What version of Excel does it work/ not work with?
What was the last thing you did in the file before it stopped working?
What type of file is it: xlsm, xlsx, xlsb?
Are the formulae in a table object or just a range?
Do the formulae look at workbooks other than the one in question?

Anything else tou can think of that may be relevant...

ksinley
12-01-2022, 09:39 AM
I cannot send the file as it is on a government server. Also, I found the problem, but not sure why it randomly changes.
But this is the formula:
=If(VALUETOTEXT((TODAY()/7-TRUNC(TODAY()/7=(VALUETOTEXT(FORMATS!A3)), “SUNDAY”,If(VALUETOTEXT((TODAY()/7-TRUNC(TODAY()/7=(VALUETOTEXT(FORMATS!A4)), “MONDAY”,If(VALUETOTEXT((TODAY()/7-TRUNC(TODAY()/7=(VALUETOTEXT(FORMATS!A5)), “TUESDAY”,If(VALUETOTEXT((TODAY()/7-TRUNC(TODAY()/7=(VALUETOTEXT(FORMATS!A6)), “WEDNESDAY”, “WRONG”))))

the error was WRONG was not in quotes. But I am not sure why all the sudden the quotes went missing.

I had to split up in 2 formulas for all 7 days because of the limitation of chaining the IF function.