PDA

View Full Version : Audit trail

charleyw78
02-15-2006, 06:46 AM
I have a very long list of numbers that have been imported from another source, each of the numbers needs to be included in another part of my spreadsheet (basically sorting everything into categories). Invariably when i get to the end i find that not all the numbers have been included, so would like a quick way to check that all the cells have been linked.

I have been trying to do something along the lines of counting dependents (there should be one for each) or conditional formatting to colour cells that don't link, but can't work it out.

I also can't work trace dependents on more than one cell at a time.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?

Thansk
Charlotte.

doctordoggie
02-15-2006, 08:28 AM
I've done think kind of thing quite a few times before.

Assuming your original list (that you want to check) is in an excel spreadsheet, and also assuming you are using a VBA routine to insert it elsewhere, what I usually do is to add a column onto the end of the original data worksheet saying whereabouts it has been put (if anywhere).

The details of what you put in the end column are up to you, and as long as omissions are always blank or contain some text like "#ERROR#" you should be OK.

Hope this helps.

charleyw78
02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi there,

My original list is in excel, but i haven't used a VBA routine to insert it elsewhere (the cells in the rest of the worksheet are just linked to the list with =).

Is it still possible to insert a column telling me where it has been put? and how would i do that?