PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to change powerpoint background on pre existing presentation

Debbys
08-15-2023, 03:22 AM
Hi There

I have a 44 slide presentation that I need to change the background on and really don’t fancy doing it slide by slide.

I have a background saved as a jpeg and also as a pp master slide and have also created a .potx template, but, no matter what I try I cannot insert this background onto the 44 slide ppt.

I am obviously doing something wrong because there must be a way, but if for example a click on the 1st thumbnail of the ppt I want to change, ctrl A, ctrl C then go to the ppt master I want to use and select paste using destination theme, slide 1 is a blank [but correct] master then the other 44 have a completely white background.

Please can someone point out where I am going idiotically wrong.

TIA

Aussiebear
08-15-2023, 06:13 AM
Welcome to VBAX Debbys. If we are very lucky John Wilson (Power Point guru) might see this thread and possibly offer some assistance.

Debbys
08-15-2023, 09:18 AM
Thank you Aussiebear, I certainly hope that he does :-)

Aussiebear
08-15-2023, 11:06 AM
Until he gets here, could you attach a sample please so others might be able to have a crack at it.

Aussiebear
08-15-2023, 11:10 AM
A quick look at Microsoft gives us the following to change the background

ActivePresentation.SlideMaster.Background.Fill.PresetGradient _
Style:=msoGradientHorizontal, Variant:=1, _
PresetGradientType:=msoGradientLateSunset

This example sets the background of slide one in the active presentation to a preset shade.

With ActivePresentation.Slides(1)
.FollowMasterBackground = False
.Background.Fill.PresetGradient Style:=msoGradientHorizontal, _
Variant:=1, PresetGradientType:=msoGradientLateSunset
End With

Debbys
08-15-2023, 12:15 PM
Hi Aussiebear

That last post is double dutch to me I'm afraid :-( I'm not sure what you mean by attach a sample?

Aussiebear
08-15-2023, 01:47 PM
Rather than anyone who wishes to help having to design a powerpoint slide, it would be extremely helpful if you provided one with the background you wish to change.

Aussiebear
08-15-2023, 01:51 PM
This MS office example sets the background for all slides in the active presentation

With ActivePresentation.Slides.Range
.FollowMasterBackground = False
.Background.Fill.PresetGradient msoGradientHorizontal, _
1, msoGradientLateSunset
End With

Paul_Hossler
08-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Hi There

I have a 44 slide presentation that I need to change the background on and really don’t fancy doing it slide by slide.

Delete 42 slides and attach resulting PPTX using instruction in my sig

Probably don't need VBA or the POTX at all.

But as a really wild guess, it might be that the PP creator person put the BG on each slide individually (ugh)

Debbys
08-16-2023, 03:38 AM
Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. What is the BG?

Just had another play with the slides and I can't do anything to them at all, even if I if I go into design, format background the only thing that will actually work is the hide background graphics option, solid, gradient, picture or pattern fill don't do anything.

I am a little reluctant to pop a slide on here as it has company branding on it, and although I have their permission to use and rebrand the slides I don't think that I should be posting on a public forum :-(

Debbys
08-16-2023, 03:39 AM
I don't know how to do the code? Sorry, I have just realised that I am maybe on a forum that is too advanced for my skills

Aussiebear
08-16-2023, 04:36 AM
That's okay Debbys. I don't use Powerpoint but maybe someone will present a sample powerpoint slide that we don't have to build.

Paul_Hossler
08-16-2023, 05:29 AM
Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. What is the BG?

Just had another play with the slides and I can't do anything to them at all, even if I if I go into design, format background the only thing that will actually work is the hide background graphics option, solid, gradient, picture or pattern fill don't do anything.

I am a little reluctant to pop a slide on here as it has company branding on it, and although I have their permission to use and rebrand the slides I don't think that I should be posting on a public forum :-(

BG = BackGround, i.e. the picture you want to use or something

Replace company name and sensitive data or what ever with "ABC"

Delete all but probably only 2 or 3 slides

There's many ways it could have been done, so we're probably just guessing without seeing an sample

Debbys
08-16-2023, 05:57 AM
I can't delete anything the background has onviously been done with photoshop or similar and then saved as an image so I can't actally delete anything on it

Paul_Hossler
08-16-2023, 06:36 AM
well, maybe you can find an in-hous PP expert who can look at it and help although ithink that just the background image would be sensitive

John Wilson
08-16-2023, 01:13 PM
Really anyone that can really help will need to see the slides.
Just checking though...

Have you gone to View >> Slide Master to check whether anything can be changed there?

In that view make sure you scroll right up to the larger master slide.

Debbys
08-16-2023, 02:21 PM
just double checked slide master view and if I go to the large master and then click it selecys the whole slide like selecting a jpeg - I am ploughing through now copy and pasting into the new master.

Thank you everyone for trying to help and I should have considered company confidentiality before posting.

kakuai1
10-13-2023, 09:07 PM
Hi There

I have a background saved as a jpeg and also as a pp master slide and have also created a .potx template, but, no matter what I try I cannot insert this background onto the 44 slide ppt.

I am obviously doing something wrong because there must be a way, but if for example a click on the 1st thumbnail of the ppt I want to change, ctrl A, ctrl C then go to the ppt master I want to use and select paste using destination theme, slide 1 is a blank [but correct] master then the other 44 have a completely white background.

TIA

How can I change the background of all slides in a pre-existing PowerPoint presentation using a master slide or template? please let me know.:wavey: