PDA

View Full Version : Solved: FieldCode Formats

MWE
02-21-2006, 07:38 AM
This is not really a VBA question, but ...

I am running Word2000. I have a document with several field codes in the footer, in particular LastSaved Date and LastPrinted Date. The footer was selected and the font set to Times New Roman 10. However, when I print the document, the field code formats change to Arial 12 and stay at that setting. The rest of the footer text remains TNR 10.

How do I force the field code formats to stay at the settings I want?

Thanks

TonyJollans
02-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Field formatting is not exactly intuitive. If you have \* MERGEFORMAT on the field that means it will inherit formatting from the data source. If you have \* CHARFORMAT it inherits it from the first character.

MWE
02-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Field formatting is not exactly intuitive. If you have \* MERGEFORMAT on the field that means it will inherit formatting from the data source. If you have \* CHARFORMAT it inherits it from the first character.
thanks (I think). I do not understand what you have stated.

re \*MERGEFORMAT: It seems to me that a fieldcode like Date and Time has a data source, but no associated formatting. Or is there an inherent formatting for "system" variables? Or is it taken from the document's style? If the latter, then the formatting is still wrong as the default style for the doucment is TNR 10.

re \*CHARFORMAT: what first character?

TonyJollans
02-21-2006, 05:07 PM
If Charformat (the default) is used, the formatting of the Field result is taken from the first character of the field code, so ...

{ SaveDate }should provide a bold red date.

You are correct in that information such as dates has no inherent formatting so is your field code in TNR or Arial?

MWE
02-22-2006, 07:43 AM
If Charformat (the default) is used, the formatting of the Field result is taken from the first character of the field code, so ...

{ SaveDate }should provide a bold red date.

You are correct in that information such as dates has no inherent formatting so is your field code in TNR or Arial?
Tony: thanks again. I was able to sort this out. The key (to me) was the change to \* CHARFORMAT such that the format of the rest of the text drives the format for the field code.

Thanks