PDA

View Full Version : Solved: updating or something else

erin64
02-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi there, a new access user here...

I have a problem with my database, that I have tried to solve for awhile now...
Is there a way to have a non dependant table or query with same fields and records as the 'main' table' +one extra field (yes/no) and only update those with yes.
I'm trying to accomplish a way where multiple users can copy the query into their offline laptops, update records, then when done, copy it back to the database and update the fields with yes, leaving the rest as they were...

Or am I totally lost??:help

-erin-

nullZero
02-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, you can do this. Let's say table A is your main table and B has offline user data the SQL would be:

UPDATE B INNER JOIN A ON B.ID = A.ID SET A.[some_data] = [b].[some_data]
WHERE B.update=True;

Question... how are you going to ensure that the users do not update the same records offline?

hth,
nZ

erin64
02-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Thank U NullZero for Your answer.
The database concerns computer hardware, all tagged by the unique Datadase ID, located in different buildings, checked by a specific person by building... so I don't see how it could be possible to refresh/update the same record.

erin64
02-25-2006, 02:40 AM
Hi there
Tried to do as NZ kindly advised above, and got it working somehow. Thank You.

stanl
02-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Just a thought. You appear to be saying that the update has nothing to do with the table fields (you indicated they stay the same, so you only want the 'extra' field marked). Why not consider a LastChecked Date/Time field. When they complete their work in the field for a particular item, that field is updated. Then when the field data is compared to the main database, the LastChecked Field is (1) archived to a database log that contains the unique hardware ID and LastChecked (2) Then replaced if the LastChecked field in the laptop is newer than the main record. This allows reports such as "Which Hardware was checked during X-time period", "Which was not", "Which is Overdue" etc...

Stan