PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] combining related records into one

eed
08-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Hi, all,

I'm hoping someone can assist me with this. I work with VBA in Access a lot, but I don't have much experience programming in Excel.

I have a spreadsheet of data, specifically, a list of documents and meetings related to those documents. (I've attached a really over-simplified example to illustrate.) You might have three meetings for Document One, so there are three records, but most of the fields are simply repeated values. I'd like to concatenate all the meetings for a particular document into the cell for just one record. This way you won't have to see multiple records, just multiple values listed in one cell.

But if each document may have any unpredictable number of meetings/records, I'm not sure how to tell Excel to loop through, find all repeated instances of a Document ID number, and concatenate the associated Meeting values into one record, then delete the other records.

I hope this question makes sense. Look at my attached Excel sheet for (better?) illustration. Thanks in advance for any advice!! :blush

mvidas
08-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Hi eed,

Try the following macro:

Sub eedCombiningRelatedRecordsIntoOne()
'http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719
Dim TopDocID As Range, DocID As Range, Mtgs As String, RowsToDel As Range, rHgt As Double
For Each DocID In Range("A3", Range("A65536").End(xlUp))
If DocID <> DocID.Offset(-1, 0) Then
Set TopDocID = DocID
Mtgs = DocID.Offset(0, 2)
rHgt = DocID.RowHeight
Else
Mtgs = Mtgs & vbLf & DocID.Offset(0, 2)
rHgt = rHgt + DocID.RowHeight
If RowsToDel Is Nothing Then
Set RowsToDel = DocID.EntireRow
Else
Set RowsToDel = Union(RowsToDel, DocID.EntireRow)
End If
End If
If DocID <> DocID.Offset(1, 0) Then
TopDocID.RowHeight = rHgt
TopDocID.Offset(0, 2).WrapText = True
TopDocID.Offset(0, 2) = Mtgs
End If
Next
RowsToDel.Delete shift:=xlUp
End Sub

This assumes your data starts in Cell A3 and the docIDs are in column A. Let us know if you need any help!
Matt

eed
08-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Matt,

This code looks fantastic. I had to modify it a little bit to execute the Excel commands from my Access code, but that was no trouble. Just one quick question to make sure: it should still run properly if I change "A3" to "A2", correct?

Thank you so much for your help, this code was a real life-saver!!!!

- Erin

mvidas
08-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi Erin,

It should still run fine changing A3 to A2, I just used A3 based on your sample report. I'm glad I could help!

Matt