PDA

View Full Version : Contact Import

spaz9876
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I exported our company contact list to clean up in excel.
When I imported it back in, it listed all by Names instead of filing as Company Name first. I can't find any help on changing the "file as" except to do it one at a time. There are over 2000 so that would take me forever. Plus whats the point of exporting then? I hope this is something simple someone can help me with.http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

XLGibbs
02-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I might be missing something....

In Tools>Options>Contact Options, you can specify the order and which to sort by checking the "File As" Order = Company

I think the default is by LastName so if you reset everything it probably switched to that..

spaz9876
02-24-2006, 05:39 PM
that only seems to work if I do it for each individual contact. I can't seem to find out how to do all 2000 contacts at one time.

XLGibbs
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Hmm, while I try to come up with a quick macro that may do it...see if you can remove the contacts, change the default setting for new contacts as above, and then import them again....may work since once you import they will all be "new contacts"..

just a thought..let me try and whip something up, although my outlook skills are suspect...

XLGibbs
02-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Ugh. My Outlook skills stink. I can't nail down the right objects to reference,....hopefully someone else can step in...

spaz9876
02-27-2006, 07:58 AM
I just tried deleting them and making sure my default "file as" is set to Company and imported again but it still didnt work. I think this is silly - whats the point of exporting and importing if you cant import back the way you exported? I don't know how to write a macro and I don't want to have to edit each 2000 contacts individually. Can anyone help?