PDA

View Full Version : Can you link Word documents together?

kane
02-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I have one master file master.doc that I want updated anytime I change one of my 8 supporting files. support1.doc, support2.doc, etc.

Can that be done in Word?:dunno

fumei
02-23-2006, 02:35 PM
1. why?
2. "updated" in what way?
3. master/sub doc.......shudder, bleech, blaack.

kane
02-23-2006, 02:40 PM
:) Don't ask why, its for my boss. Just joking.:)

Updated, I mean, when I change something on support1.doc that change is automatically reflected in master.doc.

XLGibbs
02-23-2006, 02:46 PM
I would imagine, although unfamiliar with the exact requirements in word, that each of the 8 support docs would need some kind of macro to open the master and write to it. But I imagine that this can be done.

We ask why because sometimes there are other ways to accomplish a task that are not exposed in the requested operation.

matthewspatrick
02-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Word does have a master/subdoc "capability"; it does not work terribly well.

An option that may give you happier results: in your "main" document, use INCLUDETEXT fields.

TonyJollans
02-24-2006, 02:12 AM
The consensus on the web is summed up by the statement of the MVP John McGhie who says that there are two sorts of master document: those that are corrupt, and those that soon will be.

matthewspatrick
02-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Tony,

What is your opinion of the INCLUDETEXT method?

To be honest, I have never really tried to make a master doc work--I sort of tried once, years ago, it seemed hideously complicated, and I abandoned the effort. I have only recently started using the INCLUDETEXT method, and it seems to work well, but I have not tried putting any serious stress on it yet...

Patrick

TonyJollans
02-24-2006, 07:17 AM
I believe it works well - but don't quote me on that :)

fumei
02-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Love that McGhie quote! Too true. I have tried Word's master/sub horrid crap since Word 4, and it was awful then, and is awful now. It simply does not work in any trustworthy manner.

However, "boss" wishes can sometimes not be moved.

Kane, I asked why, and what do you mean updated. Your reply was:
Updated, I mean, when I change something on support1.doc that change is automatically reflected in master.doc.Well...yeah...I guess so. However:

1. You did not answer why.

2. Again...WHAT is being updated. Technically speaking - if master/subs are being even remotely used in the manner they alledged are supposed to be used - the master has nothing to update. The master contains the structure to include the subs. So I ask again...WHAT is to be updated? WHAT possible change in the sub will be updated in the master? It can't be text, as the master does not have the text that is in the sub. It can't be a field...as the master does not have the field that may be in the sub.

So what? Explicitly. Tell me what, for example, would be updated?

kane
02-25-2006, 01:38 PM
I think he just wants to be able to change the text in the supporting file and the master file to reflect those text changes.

matthewspatrick
02-25-2006, 01:52 PM
If you use the INCLUDETEXT field technique, the "main" doc will update once the fields update. Use your options to force a field update on print. To manually force an update, hit Ctrl-A to select all, then right click in the doc wondow and select Update Fields.You could also use this macro:

Sub UpdateThem()

Dim fld As Field

For Each fld In ThisDocument.Fields
fld.Update
Next

End Sub

Patrick

kane
02-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks, it is working. I like the macro Patrick.

Could someone mark this thread as solved, that option is not available for me for some reason.

matthewspatrick
02-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks, it is working. I like the macro Patrick.

You're welcome :thumb

Could someone mark this thread as solved, that option is not available for me for some reason.

The site admins just performed a software upgrade, and a few items have not been added back yet. Check back in a couple of days or so; I know getting "mark as solved" back again is on Jake's to-do list.

Patrick

TonyJollans
02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
If you use the INCLUDETEXT field technique, the "main" doc will update once the fields update. Use your options to force a field update on print. To manually force an update, hit Ctrl-A to select all, then right click in the doc wondow and select Update Fields.You could also use this macro:

Sub UpdateThem()

Dim fld As Field

For Each fld In ThisDocument.Fields
fld.Update
Next

End Sub

Patrick No need for the loop, just: ActiveDocument.Fields.Update should do it.

matthewspatrick
02-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Tony. When it comes to automating Word, I am at nowhere near the level I am at for Excel and Access :)

XLGibbs
02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Oooh, Patrick, you shouldn't leave yourself open like that! :devil2:

fumei
02-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Of course I understood that he wanted text in the master doc to be changed to match the sub doc. That is obvious. The question though was...WHY. WHY is the text in the master even the same as the sub? What exactly is the sort of text that is being updated. Further, why is it even significant. If you do the merge of master and subs, these should match. WHY is there even a circumstance that there is divergent text?