PDA

View Full Version : Graphical Adjustment to Chart Curves

MWE
02-28-2006, 11:33 PM
I am running Excel2000. I wish to create a XY scatter chart (that's easy) and then adjust or change individual point x,y values by selecting the point on the chart/graph and "moving it" with the cursor. Sort of a "drag the point" approach. I think I know how I might do this, but if anyone has already worked out an approach, I would certainly like to hear about it.

Thanks

Andy Pope
03-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi,

This functionality is already available in a chart.
Select the series and then select the point. You can now drag the point up/down or left/right and the cell data will update accordingly.

Or did you mean something else?

MWE
03-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi,

This functionality is already available in a chart.
Select the series and then select the point. You can now drag the point up/down or left/right and the cell data will update accordingly.

Or did you mean something else? thanks for the reply. I should have been clearer. I am running Excel2000; that functionality is not in Excel2000 -- at least no in any build I have ever seen

mdmackillop
03-05-2006, 03:17 PM
It's certainly available in line charts. I don't have 2000 here, but used this functionality the other day.
Regards
MD

Andy Pope
03-06-2006, 04:57 AM
It's is available in xl2k. The only difference is that I think you are restricted to either horizontal or vertical movement in one drag operation.

MWE
03-06-2006, 10:43 AM
It's is available in xl2k. The only difference is that I think you are restricted to either horizontal or vertical movement in one drag operation.I just tried it again and can not make it work. :banghead: My particular case is a fairly simple XY (scattergram) plot. I have tried draging points vertically, horizontally, both, etc., and nothing happens.

mdmackillop
03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Time to try a "repair" of Office 2000?

MWE
03-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Time to try a "repair" of Office 2000?is this a general comment or is there a known repair or update that fixes this problem?

mdmackillop
03-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Really a general comment, but I can't think what else to suggest when such built-in functionality ceases to work.

XLGibbs
03-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Make sure your series data is "linked to source" otherwise, dragging the point won't work (i.e. it will not update the value behind it properly)

I have xl2000 and it works for almost every graph I have made (I know because i don't want them to be linked to source so I had to "undo" that linkage)

MWE
03-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Make sure your series data is "linked to source" otherwise, dragging the point won't work (i.e. it will not update the value behind it properly)

I have xl2000 and it works for almost every graph I have made (I know because i don't want them to be linked to source so I had to "undo" that linkage)
thanks for the reply. How do I determine if the series is "linked to source"? I do know that if I change any of the cell values from which the chart is made, the chart points move immediately.

What build/SR of xl2K are you running? My CD is SR-1. I have used this CD on many different computers and tried upgrading now and again. I find that each upgrade adds no functionality (have not checked this issue of moveable points yet) and lots of new problems. For example, I can not upgrade to SR2 or above and still be able to use Help in ANY MS appl. Based on feedback from several MVPs, MS added security upgrades to SR2 and SR3 and in doing so hammered the Help functionality.

Andy Pope
03-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Even with a series of fixed values I am able to drag and update a specific point

=SERIES(,{1,2,4.28,4},{1,2,1.24,4},1)

MWE
03-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Even with a series of fixed values I am able to drag and update a specific point

=SERIES(,{1,2,4.28,4},{1,2,1.24,4},1)
Andy: per your earlier reply and my reply to that ... How do I determine if the series is "linked to source"?

XLGibbs
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
They should, by default be linked to the source. I have created multiple graphs of line and scatter point and been able to manipulate the values by clicking the point on the series and moving it ...

Some chart types have the option on the chart type ( I know I have seen it, just can't find it now)...

I am not sure why you cannot change the values by moving the points, I have not been able to duplicate the issue.

Andy Pope
03-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Few ways to check.
Right click chart and pick Source Data. Use the series tab to pick a series and see whether the value and or categories are range/name references.
Select a specific series and see the SERIES() formula in the formula bar.

Are you unable to move the points on any xy scatter chart you create or just one sepcific chart? Can you post an example?