PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Persistent VBE Window

geekgirlau
03-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I have a small but irritating problem ...

I have a timesheet workbook that I use to record dates, times and projects. This is open all day, and I note the time as I start working on a new task or project.

A couple of sheets in the workbook have a Worksheet_Change macro (I can't be bothered typing times properly, so whipped up a macro quickly when I was bored!).

The problem is that periodically the VBE window opens by itself. The workbook is open all day, but I have no need to go into the VBE window. However several times a day I look on my Task Bar and there it is! I shut it down, but as soon as my back is turned (figuratively of course, I haven't worked out how to type that way yet) it pops up again.

Maybe I should be asking Babydum about poltergeist activity in Excel, but in the meantime does anyone else have a solution? :spook:

Desert Piranha
03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi geekgirlau,

As you are doing other work, are you inaverdently hitting some kind of keyboard shortcut, causing the VBE to open?

Dave

I have a small but irritating problem ...

I have a timesheet workbook that I use to record dates, times and projects. This is open all day, and I note the time as I start working on a new task or project.

A couple of sheets in the workbook have a Worksheet_Change macro (I can't be bothered typing times properly, so whipped up a macro quickly when I was bored!).

The problem is that periodically the VBE window opens by itself. The workbook is open all day, but I have no need to go into the VBE window. However several times a day I look on my Task Bar and there it is! I shut it down, but as soon as my back is turned (figuratively of course, I haven't worked out how to type that way yet) it pops up again.

Maybe I should be asking Babydum about poltergeist activity in Excel, but in the meantime does anyone else have a solution? :spook:

geekgirlau
03-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Well my initial response to this is an indignant "Of course not!".

But actually ... hmmm, don't know. I'm switching between multiple applications constantly. It appears to happen while Excel does not have the focus. Also I find it hard to believe that I could hit [Alt-F11] without realising it - is there another shortcut for the VBE?

c19h28O2
03-03-2006, 05:14 AM
There isn't something in the code that is making it pop? does it always open on the same module/procdure?

johnske
03-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Have you got an Application.Goto "Something" somewhere where "Something" is also the name of a procedure? (that'll do it)

geekgirlau
03-05-2006, 09:20 PM
No Application.GoTo ...

I've now completely cleared Personal.xls (there was only rubbish in there anyway), leaving only the sheet macro below - will let you know if this has resolved anything ...

Sub NewWeek()
If vbYes = MsgBox("Start new week?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "New Week?") Then
On Error Resume Next
Range("dtmWE") = Range("dtmWE").Value + 7

Range("Timesheet").ClearContents
Range("Reimburse").ClearContents
Range("Comment1").Formula = ""
Range("Comment2").Formula = ""
End If
End Sub

geekgirlau
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Still occurring ...

Desert Piranha
03-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Still occurring ...Hi geekgirlau,
Do you have an "Add In" that would be causing it?

I just saw an Add In somewere else that opens the VBE window.

geekgirlau
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I just removed the Analysis Toolpak add-in - will let you know if this resolves the issue.

Shazam
03-29-2006, 08:49 PM
You could try this.

In Excel 2002 and 2003 it has a Detect and Repair feature. Go to the menue bar that says Help Then click on Detect and Repair and go from there. See if that helps.

geekgirlau
03-29-2006, 09:50 PM
The problem has not occurred since removing the Analysis Toolpak - will monitor for a couple of days to see what happens.

Desert Piranha
03-30-2006, 02:03 PM
The problem has not occurred since removing the Analysis Toolpak - will monitor for a couple of days to see what happens.Kool, (got my fingers crossed)

geekgirlau
04-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Yep, that seems to have fixed it, although of course if you need the Toolpak it's a bit of an issue ...

johnske
04-03-2006, 05:04 PM
So THAT's where the poltergeist lives!! :devil2: Good to see you got it sorted:thumb :thumb

Desert Piranha
04-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Yep, that seems to have fixed it, although of course if you need the Toolpak it's a bit of an issue ...Kool, So there has to be some code or key combination, that when used in conjunction with the Toolpak opens the VBE. Interesting.

Now that you know its the Toolpak, when you have it loaded, you can watch for the VBE to open, and kinda watch to see what is going on when it happened.

geekgirlau
04-03-2006, 06:57 PM
The interesting thing here is that it occurs when Excel does not have the focus - hard to believe that a key combination from outside the application could be launching the VBE window!

Shazam
04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
The interesting thing here is that it occurs when Excel does not have the focus - hard to believe that a key combination from outside the application could be launching the VBE window!

Hi geekgirlau,

Have tried to Detect and Repair on your excel? It will put your excel on the default settings.

Desert Piranha
04-03-2006, 07:15 PM
The interesting thing here is that it occurs when Excel does not have the focus - hard to believe that a key combination from outside the application could be launching the VBE window!Hi geekgirlau,
What you are saying sounds logical to me.