PDA

View Full Version : Please Read: Friends In Need

Ken Puls
03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I was delivered some horrible news, and I?m sharing it with all of you in hopes that you may be able/interested in helping out friends of mine.

Earlier this week, Patrick, the son of good friends of mine was killed. He was only 20 years old. I?m not 100% sure of all the details, but the police have the 18 year old suspect in custody, and a murder charge is pending at this point.

Patrick was a good kid, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and talked to the wrong person. It?s every parent?s worst nightmare come true.

My friends Chris and Cheryl are understandably devastated right now, and in need of support. Many of their friends have banded together to deliver what emotional support we can, but there?s another rub to all this.

As if losing your child was not bad enough, it happened four provinces away from us. Chris and Cheryl are now having to deal with the transportation of the body, memorial expenses, and all of the other things that go along with such a tragic event. Even worse, they were in a tight spot financially to begin with, and really can?t afford the expenses that are quickly mounting up for them.

This has been a very difficult post to write, and I hate asking anyone for money, but they could really use some help. Anything that anyone can spare would go a long way to helping them out. I have set up a paypal account to accept donations, which can be accessed at my site (http://www.excelguru.ca/patrick.htm) (the donation button is in the middle of the page), or you can send funds via paypal to patrickmemorial@gmail.com

Thank you for any and all help you can give.

geekgirlau
03-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Ken, I'm so sorry. Words are inadequate here - my thoughts are with you and your friend.

lucas
03-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Same here Ken, or I would have posted here sooner..

Ken Puls
03-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi guys,

As I've said to many people lately, I'm rarely at a loss for words. This week has been very different in that respect. I don't know what you can say, really.

The whole thing is just so very... wrong. I don't know of a better word to describe it.

fumei
03-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Ken.....I have sat here for five minutes trying to figure out what to write....I can't. I - unfortunately - am all too aware of this sort of tragedy. I will assist as best I can. I am glad your friends have such a friend in you.

Ken Puls
03-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi guys,

I know, Gerry. It's almost impossible to find words... and on the news last night I saw a story about another young guy in Vancouver who lost his life at a party. It's very sad, the things going on these days. I just don't understand it. Also, in speaking with Chris today, I found out that the suspect is not 18... he's 15... a "young offender".

I did want to pop back in and thank everyone for their generous and kind donations. They are now in the family's hands, and they were quite overwhelmed by the support of so many that they have not even met. For anyone else wishing to donate, the paypal account remains active.

The memorial service happened today, and about 200 people attended, with no one age group outnumbering any other. The celebration of his life brought a few laughs and many tears, and was honoured with a few original poems and songs from friends of his and the family. Patrick left quite a mark in his short time, and he'll be deeply missed by many.

shades
03-08-2006, 07:47 AM
The last two funerals I conducted were young people: one was a 14 year old killed in a accident - his father was driving and unhurt; mother and girlfriend in the car behind watched it all. The other was a woman in her early 30's who was murdered and thrown into the river - found about a week later. This was even harder because she had begun attending the home Bible study I was leading at the time.

And you are right, words are difficult to find. Sometimes, our presence is the best gift we can give right now. Later, words will come and be appropriate.