PDA

View Full Version : Carrying forward minus time

charleyw78
03-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi there,

This should be a simple question but i'm struggling. I am trying to develop a timesheet for my office. The staff member fills in start times and end times and the number of hours is calculated. This number is then compared against the total time expected to be worked and the difference carried over into the next week.

If someone does 35 hours when 37 is expected then i would like to be able to carry over -2 hours. Excel won't let me do this as it is seeing the number as a time not an integer.

Any ideas?

Bob Phillips
03-03-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi there,

This should be a simple question but i'm struggling. I am trying to develop a timesheet for my office. The staff member fills in start times and end times and the number of hours is calculated. This number is then compared against the total time expected to be worked and the difference carried over into the next week.

If someone does 35 hours when 37 is expected then i would like to be able to carry over -2 hours. Excel won't let me do this as it is seeing the number as a time not an integer.

Any ideas?

That is correct, but it doesn't matter. Although it will not display nicely, it does work okay when you add it to another number.

The alterntive is to use the c/f hours in decimal format not time, that is multiply by 24 when calculating the c/f value, and divide it by 24 when using it in further time calculations.

TonyJollans
03-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Although you should use this with caution as changing existing workbooks can have effects you might not expect, if you use the 1904 Date system (Tools > Options > Calculation tab), negative times are displayed correctly.