PDA

View Full Version : 2 ways table lookup

evlai
03-04-2006, 08:47 AM
I am new to excel, i would like to know if i need a formula to lookup a value in a 2 ways table, how can i do it.

I am attaching my file into this for clearer picture. Thanks

:friends:

Bob Phillips
03-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Whis is 31 and 32 in Feb?

evlai
03-04-2006, 09:19 AM
huh...that was supposed to be the week number but i did not change it to the correct order. Just an example..

austenr
03-04-2006, 10:33 AM
My guess is that he auto filled the row

matthewspatrick
03-04-2006, 06:31 PM
evlai,

You apparently copied and pasted from a PivotTable, which is already summarizing the data for you. I honestly do not understand what you are trying to do. :dunno

XLGibbs
03-04-2006, 08:03 PM
A general answer to your question would be the help file on the following formulas:

LOOKUP
HLOOKUP
VLOOKUP
INDEX
MATCH

Note however, that you can not specifically lookup a value in a table two ways, or two times in one formula without some added complexity.

evlai
03-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Hi All,

I understand it will need very complex formula if i want excel to perform this for me. I have actually tried many times to figure out the solution, but yet to find one.

Patrick was right, the data is actually performed by pivot, but i need this because of i have many worksheets with this summarized calculation. I need to summarized some of the special group into a Summary worksheet only. i need to check the data every time when i want to updata the data into the Summary worksheet and it is really time consuming for me to check more than 10 worksheets and ensure the columns/ rows are in correct order. That is why i was thinking to have a vba/formula to automate my report.

Evlai
: pray2:

mdmackillop
03-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi Evlai,
I can't understand your requirements. Can you add some comments/textboxes to your sample to show what is needed and where.
Data such as Jan, Feb, Aug really doesn't help. Without clarity on your part, it's vey confusing here.
Regards
MD

XLGibbs
03-05-2006, 06:50 AM
If your intent is to have a lookup formula find and evaluate data on 10 different sheets, this will not only be a complex formula, but it would take forever to calculate (that is, if one could be written to do this in the first place).

If the data were all set up the same you can possibly set up a formula to get that cells information from each sheet which would not be too tough..