PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Where to Store Universal Name Definitions

Cyberdude
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
If I have a utility macro that other of my macros all use, then I tend to store the utility macro in my Personal.xls workbook and create a reference to Personal.xls in all my other workbooks.

With that in mind, I also have some defined names for utility formulas which other workbooks use. I now copy all these defined names into each workbook. That seems less than elegant. I would like to be able (if possible) to store those special-case name definitions in Personal.xls in a fashion like I do with utility macros. How does one do such a thing (if possible)? :idea::sparkle: Keep in mind that these names are workbook independent, so there is nothing in them that makes them dependent on any one workbook in order to execute.

Jacob Hilderbrand
03-05-2006, 10:17 PM
So you want to just add the Named Ranges to new workbooks if needed?

You could use a sheet in your personnal.xls workbook to store that data. One column for the name and one for the reference, then loop through those and add the Named Ranges to whatever workbook you want.

Bob Phillips
03-06-2006, 02:08 AM
If I have a utility macro that other of my macros all use, then I tend to store the utility macro in my Personal.xls workbook and create a reference to Personal.xls in all my other workbooks.

With that in mind, I also have some defined names for utility formulas which other workbooks use. I now copy all these defined names into each workbook. That seems less than elegant. I would like to be able (if possible) to store those special-case name definitions in Personal.xls in a fashion like I do with utility macros. How does one do such a thing (if possible)? :idea::sparkle: Keep in mind that these names are workbook independent, so there is nothing in them that makes them dependent on any one workbook in order to execute.

Why do you copy them, why not reference directly like

=Personal.xls!theName

Cyberdude
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Hmmmm ... I guess it never occurred to me that I could reference a defined name like that. Yeah, why don't I do that? Both suggestions solve the problem. Thanx fellas!
:friends:

P.S. I still can't mark this as solved.