PDA

View Full Version : Excel Not responding

calenger
03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi All

Quick question. I have an excel app that queries an as400 through ado. Works fine but i want to add a progress bar so the user knows its still running. unfotunatly the progress bar does not update (repaint i think). So i gave up on the progressbar and started to use the satus bar to show a percentage of completion. it worked fine up till about 27 % and then the window stopped updating similiar to the progress bar. after about 40 min the app finished and everything refreshed and was correct. I am using the screenupdating = false in the begining of a for loop and turning it back on at the end iof the loop. Also have shut off calculation. The funny thing is that if I try to run it again without closing excel and reopening the status bar never updates. If I reopen it and start it over again it does update to about 27 % and then seems to hang again.

Any thoughts?
sorry guess it was not that quick :)

XLGibbs
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
If it is a large query it is not uncommon for the "not responding" appearance. This means that it might still be working in the background but resources are not available to send the updating screen information to the screen.