PDA

View Full Version : mail merge to protected document?

gregmoon
03-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I have a document I use with mail merge fields to bring in some of the information. The rest has to be manually entered. I decided to make it a template with some drop down boxes, check boxes, and text boxes to make it easier and more uniform. Everything looked great! I discovered I had to protect the document for drop down and check boxes to work and I believe this caused a problem with the mail merge. Can't do the merge with the document protected! I decided I would try doing the merge while unprotected and then clicking that little lock in the toolbar to protect before completing the document. When I do this I loose the text boxes. I've been reading from several sights and then one looks like the best. One thread I read mentioned something about using a macro, but it didn't elaborate. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Greg

s?ren
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Hello Greg!

I've had the exact same problem.
My suggestion to you is this:
Divide your document into sections. One for the merged data and one for the manually entered data. (You may have to make more sections than two, depending on the layout of your document). This way you can protect each section as needed.
I've made a macro that enables me to enter data after a merge and, at the same time, keep the entered data.
You can find this macro under the thread:

Solved: how to open document saved as documentname (http://vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7749)

Hope this helps
Good luck

Søren

fumei
05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
One thing you should check when unprotecting, then protecting documents with formfields, is the NoReset:= True. If NoReset:=True then then values that were in the formfields are retained. The default is False - that is, the values are wiped out.