PDA

View Full Version : SaveAs is disabled.

Sir Babydum GBE
03-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Hi,

A colleague has approched me, and on her Excel 2003 the otion to Save As is greyed out. Also there are 3 "New" commands (I.e. open a new workbook) instead of just one on the file menu.

I've tried resseting the toolbars for her, but this doesn't fix it. The worksheets or workbook are not protected.

My guess is that she's opened up a workbook with code that disables SaveAs and Perhaps gets rid of New and then Puts it back in on closing the sheet - but that the code hasn't worked properly. Problem is as far as I can see, the only sheets she's opened today don't have any code in them.

Can someone please give me the vba code to switch SaveAs on, and to delete two of the 3 "new" commands on the file menu.

Many thanks

Damian

P.S. this is one of the rare occasions where I'll post this on MrExcel too (here: http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=961864#961864), and I'll make sure that you're updated if I get an answer there too - this is simply because of the time constraints on my colleague.

mdmackillop
03-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi Damian,
I recall seeing this a long time ago caused by a virus, so check this too.
Regards
MD

mdmackillop
03-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Also check in the XLStart folder for any programmes and turn off any add-ins which might contain such code.

Sir Babydum GBE
03-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Also check in the XLStart folder for any programmes and turn off any add-ins which might contain such code.

Thanks,

There are no add-ins switched on, and there is nothing in the XLStart folder.

As to it being a virus, I'll have to get the I.S. guys to look at that as we don't have permissions to run the software.

Any more suggestions welcome - I'm sure I saw code that switches various menu items on and off. Darned if I can find it now.

Bob Phillips
03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
You could try running this code in the immediate window and see if it comes back

commandbars("File").Controls("Save As...").Enabled=True

Sir Babydum GBE
03-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks everyone,
There's a few suggestions on the two sites. I'm gonna try 'em now.
Thanks again