PDA

View Full Version : Stop User from using the copy function

ctengelen
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
:hi: Hello folks, it's me again.

Here is the scenerio:

I have a form that on 'AutoOpen' goes to a specific bookmark and copies a part of the table to be used later as 'paste'.

This works fine for me - the problem is: what if the user copies something else - than the 'AutoOpen' copy stuff would be overridden.

Is there a way that I can stop the user from using the ""copy"" function while in this specific form???

Trudy

TonyJollans
03-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Not really is the answer you may not want. It is (almost) possible but not really practical. Is there a reason you need to do the copy long before the paste? Can you give a few more details of what exactly you're doing? Copy and Paste is probably not the best way of duplicating information in a document - if that is what you are doing.

ctengelen
03-20-2006, 11:37 AM
This form is a bit tricky.

We are dealing with an Warrant Arrest Form, we don't know if there is only one Warrant or an unknown number of Warrants.

The information spans over a number of rows in the table and those rows need to be duplicated and inserted for every new Warrant. If it was just one row that would be simple - but there are several rows, including a spot that is unprotected for the charges.

I will post the whole form for you - I hope it will make sense to you. The part that I am worrying about is the ***Warrant Information ***

Thanks again for all your help.

Trudy

ctengelen
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I am trying to upload the form now,

ctengelen
03-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Howdie.....Our network is having a lunch break (or so it seems) it is slow..but here is the file.

Trudy

efto
03-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Hi Trudy,
It?s just an opinion from a newbie. Why don?t you paste your selection somewhere else, for example a temporary document? Then the user is not restricted to use copy function and you have your selection ready to be copied and pasted any time. After that you can delete your temporary document.

Efto

fumei
03-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi Trudy. I am trying to see the problem here. You have a document and you are using AutoOpen. I am not sure why you are using AutoOpen, rather than, say Document_Open, but that may be another issue. In any case, the user has made a copy of something. That is now in the Clipboard. The user opens the document. AutoOpen makes a copy of something. THAT is now in the Clipboard. I am not seeing how a copy the user makes will interfer with the copy your AutoOpen makes. It is not as if the user can make a copy during the processing of the AutoOpen. Your AutoOpen should be able to do its thing. Or, am I missing something?

TonyJollans
03-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Tracy,

Many apologies - I started to look at this and got called away and promptly forgot about it.

It seems the file you posted is a Word Template - just with a .doc suffix - that's a good way to confuse someone :)

I would think the easiest thing to do would be to keep the warrant details as an AutoText entry in the template and insert from there whenever and whereever you want.

ctengelen
04-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Hello again,

First, sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I was on a little holiday and just came back to the office.

Thank you very much for the help *Again* Yes, you are right, it is a template, I had e-mailed it to someone on our network and I could only send it with a .doc extension. I forgot to rename it before I posted it.

You are so right, I made an AutoText Entry and changed my macro to insert the AutoText this works just fine. And I believe is much more reliable.

I am learning sooooooooo much from reading and asking questions.

Thanks again for all your help.:clap:

Trudy

TonyJollans
04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
My pleasure!