PDA

View Full Version : strange and weird access problem

cassius
08-19-2004, 03:27 AM
i have a PC running Win XP and Office XP and until yesterday everything was working to perfection. However, yesterday when i tried opening one of my databases, it opened ok in Access, and if i try to work in design view it works fine, but when i try to open a table, run a query, or open a form, Access freezes for a couple of seconds and then i get the following message:

"Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The information you were working on might be lost. Microsoft Access can try to compact & repair your open database

here i get an option to check, if i would like to repair my open database and restart Microsoft Access."

Then Access will create a backup of the database, and it doesn't close successfully the original one, leaving the .ldb file visible.

This is happening to all of my databases on this PC, while the same databases works fine on all of my other computers.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled Office XP two times ( from 2 different CD's and 2 differnet serial numbers.) but still the problem is persisting.

Any ideas, what i may try to solve this problem, may i can avoid the hassle of formatting my pc for another time ?

Thank in advance.

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-19-2004, 03:39 AM
That's strange. Some file must be corrupted in Windows, but who knows what. I would suggest reloading Office, but since you already did that...

I think you need to reload Windows, espesially since all the files work fine on your other PCs.

Also, you can try something before you format your hard drive. Completely uninstall Office, then reinstall it as opposed to just reinstalling on top of the old files. That may do the trick unless you already tried it.

cassius
08-19-2004, 04:04 AM
that's my bet that re-installing windows is the only way out.

As you suggested i've uninstalled office and re-installed but still to no success. However, the only thing which i did not do was that when i uninstalled office, i didn't restart the pc but i simply began the installation.

Also, do you think that a system restore might do the trick ?

Thanks

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Restore should work if the files were working at some point and just now stopped (i.e. they were working before the restore point). But how old is the retore point? You will lose everything done after that point, but it may be better than a full reformat.

You can try to reboot after uninstall, it can't hurt. And also delete all the folders/files that the uninstall didn't remove.

Reboot, then for the heck of it defrag the system, it may overwrite something that will help us. Re-install and if you still have the problem, try your restore point.

cassius
08-19-2004, 04:30 AM
You can try to reboot after uninstall, it can't hurt. And also delete all the folders/files that the uninstall didn't remove.
can you give me a hint for which files/folders shall i search to delete pls ?

But how old is the retore point? You will lose everything done after that point, but it may be better than a full reformat.
well when i entered into the system restore menu, there were several bold dates, however, none of them were created manually by myself. Moreover, when you said you will lose everything, you don't refer to the data files right ?

Thanks for your help.

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-19-2004, 04:36 AM
Kill this folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office

You should lose the programs you installed I believe. I don't use restore points myself, I just reformat every 2-3 months to keep my system clean. You should back up all your data files to CD anyways to be safe.

cassius
08-19-2004, 04:40 AM
thx for the tip to destroy that folder. However, if this fails too, i'll get your idea and do a clean install of win xp coz definitely it will be the long way faster.

Anyway, when i get back home, i'll try killing that folder first.

Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated :)

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-19-2004, 04:47 AM
Hope it works :)

Take Care

sgrant
08-23-2004, 08:06 AM
When you uninstall office and then reinstall it, do a cold boot in between not a restart. With a restart some of the old settings are retained to speed up the start procedure. To ensure that these are reset; do a shut down and then a power up.

Good Luck
Scott