PDA

View Full Version : update a dynamic range from a combobox

rgr
04-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Here is what I am ultimately trying to accomplish:

I have 4 columns on sheet1 where I am entering player?s names for a bridge tournament.
The names are all in a list on the sheet ?Members?.
I double click on a cell on sheet1 and a userform with combobox appears. Modeless
I find an existing player?s name and enter it on the sheet, or I add a new name and enter it on the sheet. All this from the combobox.
The list gets updated, expands, and is sorted.
I need to be able to make a smooth keyboard sequence where I can go from the userform to the sheet1, (select the next cell, or go down to the next row) and back to the userform again as names are being entered.
I have tried: (This worked, I was using a Named dynamic range and using it as a rowsource)

Putting code on sheet ?Members? to sort the list; Worksheet_Change()
Putting code on sheet1 to add to the list if it doesn?t exist; again, Worksheet_Change()
Using a combobox to simply select an existing name and typing a NEW name directly into the cell on sheet1 when necessary.
When I tried typing a NEW name into the combobox, (for testing purposes, I would type in ?dog?), the program would ?freeze? for 1-2 minutes, then, all 292 names in the list would be replaced with ?dog?. (that?s why I have a duplicate list handy).

I am trying: (Not working)

Removing the named range from the worksheet and naming it and updating it within the userform.
Keeping focus in the combobox while yet being able to transition between the combobox and the sheet1 without a mouse.
I keep getting, variously, object, range, method not defined(or missing) errors.
At this point, I am just frustrated and lost, if any one could steer me back down the right path, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Phillips
04-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Try this alternative

rgr
04-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Dear xld:

Thank you vey much for your input, but it lacks 2 things that I need.

1) to be able to add new names in the combobox
2) to be able to use the MatchEntry property of the combobox to quickly locate an existing name.

:banghead: