PDA

View Full Version : Show 1 record on two pages

ijswalker
04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi,

I have a table containing 10 Records. Each record has about 120 fields associated with it. I want to be able to create a report that shows the results of a record on two pages. Do I need to enter all of the records at the header level on the report?

Thanks

Ian

geekgirlau
04-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Ian, I'd be rethinking your data structure - 120 fields in one table (if I'm reading you correctly) is excessive.

ijswalker
04-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Not excessive for this task because I need all of the fields on the report. I have figured it out how to do it. Thanks anyway.

Ian

Aussiebear
04-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Ian,

Whats stopping you from linking two or more tables into the report? I'd have to agree with Geek here in that 120 fields is very excessive.

Ted

matthewspatrick
04-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Ian,

Hm. Having that many fields on a single table might (I repeat, might) make sense only if:

You use this table only to produce report output and
This table does not hold permanent data, but instead you use code behind the report (or the form that launches the report) to run various queries and whatnot to populate this table

When I have reports that rely on complex, multi-step calculations, I often use code to move data through a series of "temp" tables, with the last temp table acting as the report's recordsource. Such tables have more fields on them than I would normally put there, but the data they store is temporary in nature and gets purged either before the next report run or when the user closes the app.

Is this what you are doing, or are you storing permanent data in this table?

ijswalker
04-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Hi Patrick,

Unfortunately, all of these fields are related to one particular project. I could better organize the information into multiple relational tables but I have a contraint on time to design this. The format I have does work fine now.

Thanks

Ian

matthewspatrick
04-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Well-founded quibbles about the schema aside, back to the original question...

I have a table containing 10 Records. Each record has about 120 fields associated with it. I want to be able to create a report that shows the results of a record on two pages. Do I need to enter all of the records at the header level on the report?

Depends on what you are trying to do. Do you need to show all 120 fields on both pages, or just a subset?

And which header do you want? The report header only shows up on the first page of the report itself, whereas a page header prints on every page (unless you are using code to conditionally suppres it, of course!).