PDA

View Full Version : 3 big problems: filter listbox w/ dropdown, change cell display by listbox select...

gadz
04-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Edited by lucas, reason: cross-posted
Click here (http://www.excelguru.ca/XLKBA/XLKBA05.htm) for an explanation of cross-posting

I think I jumped in over my head. :dunno :banghead:

(Please see attchment to understand this post!)

Part 1:
I want to be able to choose an option from the (background) combobox on the Display worksheet that filters what is displayed in the (names) listbox.
For example if I choose "Yellow" from the dropdown, the listbox should only show names (from the data sheet) that have that same value in its row. If I choose "Show All" from the dropdown, the listbox should show all of the names regardless of the background value.

Part 2:
When you click on a name in the listbox, I want it to look for the "background" value of the name (on the Data sheet, eg. "Yellow") and then get the 3 matching lists (eg. "Yellow 1.1-9", "Yellow 2.1-9", "Yellow 3.1-9") and display them on the Display sheet in the columns where it says "List 1", "List 2", and "List 3".

Part 3:
This bit is the trickiest of them all I think and I don't even know if it can be done. The columns on the "Display" sheet that have the ticks: I need to be able to double click a cell in that column to add a virtual tick (double-click a cell in the first column for an example) that will grey out the text in the cell on its right (conditional formatting takes care of this easily)...but the catch is that I need each name to remember which cells were ticked for that name so that they are different on each name regardles of what 3 lists they have showing.
For example: If I click the name "Bobby Smith" from the listbox, it will show the 3 "Yellow" lists because Bobby Smith has the background value "Yellow" in its row on the Data sheet. Now if I double click E5 and E6 it will tick these cells greying out the cells on the right of them. If I now change the name to Peter Smith who also has the background value "Yellow" it will show me the 3 "Yellow" lists but nothing will be ticked because it's a different name. Clicking back on Bobby Smith those cells will be ticked again.

Is this even possible?

I want to avoid having a different sheet for each name if at all possible.

I hope someone can help me figure this out, I've been at it for three days now. I don't know all that much excel and I've been learning as I go along but I'm really excited at the seeming posibilities.

matthewspatrick
04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
This is a crosspost:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Excel/Q_21812558.html

lucas
04-13-2006, 05:16 PM
First post edited.
Nothing wrong with cross posting but please read the explaination in the edited post above.

gadz
04-16-2006, 05:54 AM
This is a crosspost:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl..._21812558.html

Hi Patrick, I'm sorry I didn't specify that I posted elsewhere.
I wasn't trying to be sneaky or dishonest or anything of the sort, I just don't have much experience with posting questions like this.
I've only used experts-exchange before because I would get help literally the next day and people were always really helpful even if they didn't know the exact answer or solution. Just the other day while tearing my hair out in frustration I stumbled on this site, it's been extremely helpful and I posted here in hopes of getting help because the excel problem was urgent and I had two days left to figure it out--I only posted on two forums.

I hope you forgive me. I'll be more careful to follow forum etique much closer from now on.

Regards,
gadz

P.S. It looks like Matt on tech-excellence has figured it out what I need, I'll attach the final solution when it's ready and mark this as solved.