PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Fixing textboxes in place (non-VBA query)

Richie(UK)
08-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Hi all,

OK, Word isn't really my forte (I'm more of an Excel man) so forgive me if this is a simple one ;)

At work we have a template for our letters. This template contains two textboxes; the top-right one contains the business address and the bottom-right one contains details of the partners in the firm.

When preparing letters we sometimes find that the textboxes (usually the bottom one) 'jump' to the next page :) Is there any way of locking the little critters in place?

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Hey Richie

What I would do is put the textbox in the Header and Footer. Then goto File | Page Setup | Layout and for Header and Footer select "Different First Page".

Then for the first page have your normal header/footer plus the text boxes and on the second page on just the normal header/footer.

That should lock it onto the first page.

TonyJollans
08-24-2004, 10:20 AM
I'd go with the header and footer approach, but why use textboxes at all?

Richie(UK)
08-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Hey Jacob,

Thanks for the input - I'll try it out at work tomorrow. :)

Hi Tony,

I'm afraid I don't know because I didn't design the template - I just have to work with it ;) If I'm feeling brave I'll take it up with the appropriate person - tactfully, of course!

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
At work I have several different printers that people use. Some of my docs print great, while others print and chop off part. So if a make a doc with really small bottom margins, some of the printers will not be able to print the whole page.

You should check your margins and make sure you always give yourself at least one inch at the bottom. That may solve the problem as well.

Richie(UK)
08-25-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say a quick 'Thank you'.

The header and footer approach seems to have resolved the issue. Now I've just got to persuade everybody else to follow suit! ;)

JOrzech
08-26-2004, 04:10 PM
For what it's worth, I just use the Undo command in VBA, place my text box, print or whatever, undo and it's gone.

I know this problem is solved... but just wanted to add this.