PDA

View Full Version : Open Office

Paleo
04-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi guys,

today I went to the 7?. Internation Forum for Free Software and heard some news on Open Office. According to Mr. Miguel de Icaza, Open Office will support Microsoft VBA macros. I asked him after the presentation: What about copyright for the use of VBA? He simply kept on walking and didnt answer me. What could that mean? I think he dont care as its gonna be a users problem...

Killian
04-21-2006, 01:56 AM
... I asked him after the presentation: What about copyright for the use of VBA? He simply kept on walking and didnt answer me.:rotlaugh:
Too funny.
Interesting though, Carlos. Now I'm going to have to install OpenOffice and play around with that - like I haven't got enogh to do already!

Ken Puls
04-21-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm curious what they mean about "support" to be honest. I downloaded OO2.0, and it will import them, but it REM's out each line of code. Un-reming (is that a word) leaves you with a useless macro. I even tried a simple macro and couldn't get it to work:

Dim cl as Range
For Each cl In Selection
cl.Value = "Hi"
Next cl

I think it would be great to see, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

XL-Dennis
04-22-2006, 05:25 AM
Hi all :)

With all the respect to Open Office I'm convinced that web based tools is the future and please see AjaxXls at the following URL: http://www.ajaxxls.com/

AjaxXls should be viewed as an indicator how to work online in the future. I believe it will take some additional years before web based tools will replace the desktop tools.

Kind regards,
Dennis

Zack Barresse
04-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I thought you could buy a VBA licence for around $700 USD. :dunno

I agree with Dennis though, web-based is probably going to be the wave of the future, as soon as everything else catches up with it. :)

Sir Newbie
04-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Hello all,

Thanks XL-Dennis for the AjaxXls link (and thanks to vbaexpress as well :))

Interesting stuff.

It looks like Open Office is also available "on the go."

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/suites/portable_openoffice

Hmmm.

Portable Open Office...

Now that would make an interesting acronym :)

Chow for now :)

PC509
04-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Open Office VBA compatibility is still a WIP (work in progress). They aren't 100% compatitible yet.

I really enjoy the new AJAX features. Some of them have been implemented in XBox homebrew applications and controlling a media center PC from the XBox.

If Google jumps on the AJAX bandwagon... :) GMail will be your storage for your files, many applications. They have Quake 3 built on Shockwave now... Why do you need anything newer than Windows 98 and a browser? :)

mark007
05-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Yep - I see the future being totally net based. No-one will have more than a screen that runs a web browser and a little pen drive that stores 2 million GB plugged into it LOL All software will run online so licensing and updates will be a doddle. You'll also be able to use your registered software on anyone's PC!

:)

untitled
07-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Yep - I see the future being totally net based. No-one will have more than a screen that runs a web browser and a little pen drive that stores 2 million GB plugged into it LOL All software will run online so licensing and updates will be a doddle. You'll also be able to use your registered software on anyone's PC!

:)

that'd be nice, but when machines have several cores/processors, your registered software will need to adjust its licence file per core. thats not always easy, and the charges for putting your key into a 200 core machine (think grid computing) might just be a little over what you were expecting.

I don't see it happening too soon.

Honey
05-31-2010, 05:15 AM
Mm,so interesting info)thanks

fumei
06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
1. VBA license???

2. VBA copyright?

Really? Are you serious?

As for Open Office and existing VBA procedures....FORGET IT! I am running OO 3.2 and sorry it simply is not credible to even remotely imply that its scripting is compatible with VBA. The syntax is different; the object model is different.

Does OO have good scripting? Yes. Can you "convert" existing VBA procedures? Ummmm, sort of, not really, kind of....no.

As for web-based applications. I hope not. I soon will be completely off the grid, not using the Internet at all. I have been Internet free for two years now at home. Soon I will be retiring, and will have no Internet access at all. I certainly hopw that applications do not move totally to the web. That would mean I will be at a complete loss.

Hmmmm. that may not be so bad after all.

Simon Lloyd
06-02-2010, 03:32 AM
1. VBA license???

2. VBA copyright?

Really? Are you serious?

As for Open Office and existing VBA procedures....FORGET IT! I am running OO 3.2 and sorry it simply is not credible to even remotely imply that its scripting is compatible with VBA. The syntax is different; the object model is different.

Does OO have good scripting? Yes. Can you "convert" existing VBA procedures? Ummmm, sort of, not really, kind of....no.

As for web-based applications. I hope not. I soon will be completely off the grid, not using the Internet at all. I have been Internet free for two years now at home. Soon I will be retiring, and will have no Internet access at all. I certainly hopw that applications do not move totally to the web. That would mean I will be at a complete loss.

Hmmmm. that may not be so bad after all.This is a very old topic Gerry and i don't know why Honey has posted in it. Anyway more to the point you not accessing the internet and helping out in these forums will be a great loss...........hope you reconsider getting internet access at home, failing that what address should i forward printed copies of the posts to? :devil2: