PDA

View Full Version : Solved: In the mood to be confused.

Aussiebear
04-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Is it possible to have data displayed in a field, yet have the data referred to by the program as a numerical value? I have four residue results that are supplied to us from a Scientific Laboratory, but would like to have the program transpose the values as a numerical value.

eg. <LOR = 0, <AL = 1, >AL = 2, >MRL = 3

BTW, I'm so tired, it won't take much to confuse me so go easy.

geekgirlau
04-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Create a combo box and set the following:

Column Count = 2
Row Source Type = "Value List"
Row Source ="0;<LOR;1;<AL;2>AL;3;>MRL"
Control Source = your field

If there are a lot of values, it would be a good idea to create a lookup table - the field stores the numeric value, while the lookup table allows you to display the text description. However if you're only talking about 4 possible values (and they're likely to remain static), this way is quicker.

Aussiebear
04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Thankyou Geek. For those looking at the database, I need them to just see the text description, whilst the program will utilise the numerical value, Right?

geekgirlau
04-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Exactly. One thing I forgot to mention - set your column widths to "0;1.5cm" - this will hide the first column (containing the numeric value), while displaying the text (although I guessed at the width here).

Aussiebear
04-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Hey Geek, have run into a small problem. However I'll give your advice a shot in a while.

BTW thank you