PDA

View Full Version : Apply template to all pages of a word Doc

Ismael
05-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Hi to all,

I search in the forum, but I dind't see anything that fixes my doubt.
So let me post, and see if any of you guys can help ok?

My doubt it's simple, I donwloaded a word template via web, a simple doc. with a layout. So I start typing on the doc, and when a change to page 2, a strange (or not) thing happens, the template doesn't stay on page 2 why???? this is my doubt.

I try to copy paste the layout, but the "pictures" doesn't stay on the same place.

Attach is the file that I donwloaded.

So, if any of you guys can help me, I really appreciate.

Kind regards,

Ismael

lucas
05-08-2006, 10:54 AM
I just downloaded it and put it in my template directory and created a new file with it with my logo...went to the second page without any problem....You are using it as a template right?

If you just opened the dot file then you are making changes to the template. Look at the top of word where it says document 2 etc and it will tell you if you have the template open, it will say redrule_lh instead of document 2 or something like that.

Ismael
05-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

In fact it seems, that I'm not using the file as a template.
I try to put the file on the directory templates, but when I try to open the template I can't find the document on the directory.

Maybe you can explain me how I can do it.

In attach, you will find a picture where I show the template directory.

Best regards,

Ismael

lucas
05-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Hi Ismael,
I think your putting it in the wrong directory...on my computer its:
C:\Documents and Settings\Main\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

The best way to check is to open Word and go to file and click on save as
then select *dot from the "save as Type" dropdown that is just below where you name the file....you can save a new template there with a name you can search for if necessary. Hope this helps.

Ismael
05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Steve,

I already find the correct directory, I didn't have the show hidden files turn on, that's why I couldn't see the application data folder.

I put the file on this directory, now when I open the new document, and select the option use a template on my computer, a see the EGI template, so far so good, the problem becomes when I go to the second page, because the template disappears from page one to page 2.

Do you have any idea why this is happen????

You can see the movie attach, where I show this steps.

Best regards,

Ismael

lucas
05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Ismael,
I think templates like this are set up for one page(someone correct me if I'm wrong)....My inclination is that you will have to go to the .dot file and rename it to file extention .doc...then open it and make your changes on multiple pages, then save and close it and rename it back to .dot......

fumei
05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Uh, Steve...are you saying that you used this, cloned a new document, made a second page and you DID have the graphic on both pages? I believe this is what is wanted. Because...well you should not have had the graphic on both pages.

The graphic is a draw object on the page. Making a second page does not (at least with my Word) duplicate the graphic. It is not a background.

Ismael
05-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Hi,

yes what I want is the graphic on both pages. It's possible transform the graphic on a background??

Best regards,

Ismael

lucas
05-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Sorry for the confusion...I changed it to a doc...pressed enter till I went to the second page and everything(grapics, etc) followed to page 2. I then copied and pasted it all to page one ..then saved it as a two page template(dot)...seemed like it worked.

After trying it today though it is a little glitchy. It actually puts another blank sheet in between when you use enter to move to the second page and you have to delete the blank. As I said in post 6, I think these are only for one page am I correct Gerry, but there are ways to work around it.

fumei
05-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Well SURE there are ways around it. But...excuse me...
I then copied and pasted it all to page one ..Yup...that is a way around it. You make the draw objects on each page. And guess what...if you make a third page...ya gotta do it again...and a fourth page...ya gotta do it again.

You have to do the copy and paste for EVERY page you make.

You will only get it automatically - that is, on every page page - if it is a background. OR, by duplicating the objects by code. However, that still would not be automatic. You would need something to fire the copy and paste.

They are drawing objects, and as such they are explicit. They exist at a location on a single page. They are not, and can not, be background and imaged on every page.

If you want an image on every page, make a background image and apply it.