PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Distributing libraries

ALe
05-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Here is the problem so that you can understand what I need.

I created an excel add-in that I'm going to install in many PCs. The fact is that it references to libraries that could be missing on those PCs.
I read some posts about early binding. The fact is that my file is huge and with complex code so I'd like to find another way to solve the problem.

My idea is to create an installation program with VB6. I develop an .exe program in VB6 which has the same references as my add-in. The VB6 Wizard for creating Installation Package recognizes these references and includes them in the output .cab file.

Now the questions: (sorry for my ignorance)
1. Can I do it or it is illegal?
2. Will my libraries automatically be installed?
3. Will my libraries overwrite the original ones in case they're already in the target PC?

Thank you!

lucas
05-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Take a look at this before you go to that much trouble...might be an easier solution..
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=267

lucas
05-12-2006, 06:54 AM
This will list all the ref info you need to add to your addin...
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=713

ALe
05-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Right, it'ok but the problem is not related to the version but the existance of the library. If it's missing (any version) I need it to be installed (for example ADO)

lucas
05-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Sorry Ale, I misunderstood the problem..

Tommy
05-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi Ale,

1. Yes you can do this as long as you have a legal copy of all items used in the add-in.
2. Yes
3. Yes No Maybe :rofl: What happens is the library will be upgraded if a "SP" otherwise it will be copied if not existing. For example Microsoft Common Dialog Control, it has been upgraded several times, the version you use in your add-in will be installed if there is one not there, or if the one that is there is older, but if the one that is already there is a newer version it will be the one used. Sorry that looks clear as mud LOL.

What you need to be careful of is sending out copies of Excel. The package and deployment wizard will pick up excel if you let it.

As a suggestion, send the MDac with the installation program. MSI doesn't install it it just checks for it, the package and deployment will install a version of it, but I prefer to install it by itself and Jet.

ALe
05-12-2006, 09:12 AM
You have been very clear. thank you very much. Just I don't know the meaning of the words (sorry I'm not mothertongue):
a. SP
b. LOL
c. MSI

Sorry:blush

Tommy
05-12-2006, 09:22 AM
My Bad (means my mistake sorry) :blush

a. Service Packs
b. Laugh Out Loud
c. Microsoft System Installer

ALe
05-12-2006, 09:25 AM