PDA

View Full Version : Minimzed Word to tray or run it invisible

Gabor
05-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Is it possible to keep one instance of Word open even if I close the last open file with the X in the top right corner AND not to have a button for the open file in the Taskbar? I am thinking of an ?invisible? instance.
Aim: to be able to create new Word files quickly.
Reason: I have to create lots of new files, save and close them. Opening Word when it is not running is an extra wait.
Unfortunately it is not something I could start with recording a macro.
I actually have one now (with help from this forum:yes) which, upon closing the last document, minimizes Word to taskbar but I happen to click on it frequently (I always have several similar buttons there) which could be avoided if it were not there at all or were in the tray.

Private Sub Document_Close()
If Documents.Count = 1 Then
Application.WindowState = wdWindowStateMinimize
End If
End Sub

Or is there an option ?minimize to tray? that can be included somehow?

I know there are independent programs for minimizing anything to tray and not to taskbar but they are an extra burden on the system. If it is possible to arrange it through Word alone it would be more reasonable as for computer resources.
Thank you very much for any help.

TonyJollans
05-14-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't know how to send an application to the tray - although I'm sure it's possible. You could make it invisible but it would need special treatment to make it visible again when you wanted it. Do you want to open documents programmatically or manually via the UI?

Gabor
05-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your reflection.
I would like to open new docs by clicking on the shortcut to Normal.dot in Quick Launch. (I use Normal.dot for this because I need to create lots of new files but they are all of the same type and their characteristics can well be kept in that template.)