PDA

View Full Version : Dependent lists

lanhao
05-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi there,

I've been recently asked by some people at work to put together some forms in Excel to help with keeping track of things and documentation. I currently am working on a sheet where I need to actually have the sort dependent on two piece of information instead of one (specifically the month in question and the name of the person). I honestly am stumped as to how to make it look for both variables, adn only pull the information on those specific rows. I have the base code in place for the actual entry of the data, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to have it do the two lookups.

Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

lenze
05-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe Advanced Filter, or perhaps MSQuery. Can you post an example as I'm not sure what you mean by sort in this context. Also, I suspect a Pivot Table may fit also your needs

lenze

lanhao
05-14-2006, 01:32 PM
ok - the nutshell sum up is this: I am putting together a monthly monitoring form for one of the people at work, for her team of people that she is in charge of. I need to be able to first pick the month, and them from there, get the names of the reps that were on her team for that month and pull up their corresponding information.

If it was based on one thing, i would use the index/match function, however that seems to do the job where there is only one thing it needs to look for. I need to make this as simple as possible (hence the reason why I am trying to use VBA to do it) so they would have what they need. I mentioned pivot chart to the person once and they stared at me blankly, so I need simple to use by someone not familiar with Excel.

lenze
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
So how is the data arranged? My guess is you could use Advanced fiter with dropdowns in the criteria ranges and record a Macro to filter the list and one to restore it (with button). This only duplicated a MSQuery feature and in a way a Pivot Table feature.

lenze

lanhao
05-14-2006, 01:45 PM
The way they want the layout is simply, they click on a month name and then it will come up with a list of the reps that had information in there. They then click on the name of the rep, and it will come up with all pertinent information that the rep did during that month. That is what they are looking for basically. The column order can be tinkered around with, I just am having problems with getting both pieces of information to pull up. If I do month, itwill come up with just the first line that matches.