PDA

View Full Version : OWC10 ActiveX security Message

MountainVogu
05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I have an excel 2002 (SP3) app (excel spreadsheet with VBA code) that has a number of OWC10 spreadsheets on various userforms. I use these as the built-in functionality allows me to do a number of things I would otherwise have to create from scratch.

Also I have got rid of the enable macros message by creating a little Vb program that creates a session of excel and then loads the app (excel spreadsheet) into that session as defined by the spreadsheet name in an external txt file that contains only the name of the file I want to open.

BUT in Excel 2002 with more that SP2, I get the Annoying "This application is about to initiate ActiveX controls that might be unsafe...."

And this is where I am an clueless. Anyway of getting rid of this message, short of creating a certificate and if not how does one go about getting a certificate.

Any help greatfully received.

Have trawled many KB's and sites to no avail - apologies if this has been answered or posted somewhere else.

:banghead:

stanl
05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Does this help?
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;827742&spid=2530&sid=50

Stan

MountainVogu
05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
It amazes me that Microsoft say this..

"Contact the author of the ActiveX control to make their ActiveX control SFI."

Thats you :bug: Microsoft so why not make them SFI (Safe for Initiation) in the first place, especially when used in your own apps Pzzzt Homer !

Thanks for that link Stan, I knew about the UFI value in the registry but was trying not to use that as it appears to be a blanket solution of all ActiveX components.

Ho Hum.

XL-Dennis
05-19-2006, 12:50 AM
The only reliable workaround is to create a COM add-in and use the wanted controls in a form.

For some configurations we can write to the registry to change some settings but it's not bulletproof. That's why You have to go with the COM add-in.

Kind regards,
Dennis