PDA

View Full Version : Copy Autotext Entries to Normal.dot

Anne Troy
08-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Attached is a file with autotext entries.
They are named:

myautotextone
myautotexttwo
To manually copy autotext from the attached template to the user's normal.dot would be done manually this way:

Open (or double-click) the template.
Hit Tools-Macro-Macros and then click the Organizer button (among other methods to get to the organizer).
On the right, should now appear normal.dot.
You select the Autotext tab.
You copy the two autotext entries over into the normal.dot.
You close both files and make sure normal.dot is saved...

How could we automate this so that a company could send something to the user and the autotext entries are added?

JOrzech
08-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Are you sending the template to this person/entity? If so, there is no need for the autotext to be copied. I'm not understanding why this would be necessary. As you know, no one wants all that stuff in their normal.dot because if their normal.dot becomes corrupt, you lose it all. Please clarify DB.

JOrzech
08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
you can add this line of code to a template, put it in your startup directory, and it will attach the template with all the autotext, styles, macros, etc. attached and readily available:

Sub AutoNew()
With ActiveDocument
.UpdateStylesOnOpen = False
.AttachedTemplate = _
"C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\YourTemplateName.dot" 'change to the PATH and template containing the autotext, etc.
End With
End Sub

Although about thinking about it... you may need an AutoExec macro.... but try this first and let us know.

May work -- I'm still ruminating upon it. But give it a try.

village_alchemist
08-27-2004, 08:38 AM
I'm still ruminating upon it.
Ruminating, now there's a word you don't associate with programming much.:cool:

My in-law's alpacas ruminate a lot, only it comes back up as green spew occasionally. Then they walk around like this: :p

Come to think of it though, the VBA display is green....

JOrzech
08-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Too funny village_alchemist! Alpacas??

:D

JOrzech
08-28-2004, 09:45 AM
I knew what alpacas were but I truly thought you were joking Village_Alchemist since your post said:

My in-law's alpacas ruminate a lot,
What a wonderful thing! I love ALL animals... Thanks for the link - they are such amazing sweet (although ruminating :)) animals.