PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Access crashed my exceL?

debauch
05-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi. I am pretty new to Access, and I made a critial mistake I think.

I have an excel database that I use on a daily basis, to track and log information. I was exploring using the 'link table' function in Access to link to my excel file. I changed a field to see if it would update in my excel file, and when I tried to open the excel file I got 'windows encountered an error' message. So I changed the field back to its original text thinking this has caused my issue.
Now, every time I attempt to open the excel file, wether Access DB is open, closed, or deleted...it still will no longer open. I restarted my machine, and still nothing.

Access can still pull the information out of the excel file, but I cannot open it from excel. Do you Access experts know why this may have happened or how this can be resolved??

Norie
05-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Have you tried opening it when you remove the link?

debauch
05-21-2006, 09:20 AM
I believe I have. My initial instict was to just delete the Access database, as it was only for testing purposes and not really impacting if I scrap it.

Is there another way of doing this? Is there a proper way to remove the links?
After deleting the first copy, a second DB still connects grabbing the excel data, but I was still unable to open excel file.

OBP
05-22-2006, 08:43 AM
If Access can "access" the Excel spreadsheet your best course of action would be transfer all the data in to Access by importing it, or transferring/copying the linked table in access in to another access table, just in case your excel spreadsheet is not recoverable.

debauch
05-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Nothing has worked. I found an old back-up , a little over a week old. I updated recent info and is 98 % back to its original state. Next time I will not do my testing with a live database. Bad move on my part. Thanks for sugguestions. // Solved.