PDA

View Full Version : Shared File Utilizing Template

phiore
05-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I have a database with data for 20 salespeople, and about 2000 items, for last year. I have a template for the salesperson to project sales going forward.
what i am thinking, is, that the person logs in with a password, and gets the template with only their data supplied. is this part doable? they would not see the data of the others. next, when they finish inputting data for this year, and they save, is it possible to just save the input data, and not save the template 20 times? so, the next time the log in, they will receive the data of last year, as well as any data they have projected. Is this doable on a shared file? Any problems you can forsee, with what i have outlined?
i would appreciate any help you can provide. thanks.

mdmackillop
05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I think you would be better with a Access database solution to this.
Regards
MD

phiore
05-26-2006, 09:59 AM
thanks for a quick response.
the users barely have working knowledge of excel, and definitely no comfort level in access. i think i am stuck trying to make it work in excel.

mdmackillop
05-26-2006, 10:08 AM
All the more reason I would say. It's easier to create a good user interface in Access for those with little or no PC skills that keeps them away from areas where they can cause harm.
However, if you can post a sanitised sample of your data, maybe we can suggest a way forward.

Aussiebear
05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd have to agree with Malcolm here. For many years we avoided using Access, and tried to do everything in Excel, but eventually underwent a course in Access and the light at the end of the tunnel suddenly became a whole new world. Its not difficult to understand or use.

And given the expertise available here in this forum, you shouldn't run into any problems.
:yes

phiore
05-29-2006, 06:25 AM
thanks for the input, i will definitely looki into it. im still willing to learn something new.

Apps
05-30-2006, 04:35 AM
If you really (and I mean really really really) wanted to keep this in Excel, it would require making the Excel file behave like .... well an Access database as previously mentioned ....

Off the top of my head, you could have a multi-worksheet file, with each User mapped to use only one worksheet (with password protection), with a Userform interface to ensure that the User only ever saw and altered their respective worksheet.

But again, the functionality that you describe is readily available in Access, and using Forms and suchlike, you can still make the whole transition to Access 'experience' for the Users as friendly as possible. It sounds like it would be a better long-term solution for you needs from what you describe.

Also, on a personal experience note, I tend to shy away from introducing Shared workbooks to people that are not that comfortable using Excel in the first place, it usually leads to more calls for support and headaches than it is worth :eek: !

Hope this helps :)