PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Read only message on document open

Marcster
06-01-2006, 10:51 AM
When opening up a certain Word document a message appears:

<filename> should be opened as read-only unless changes to it need to be saved. Open as read-only?.

What setting in the file causes this to appear?.
How do I prevent this from appearing everytime?.

As I don't want to save the document with a new name each time I update it. (by clicking no, I can save it with the original name)
The file's not protected and it's not marked as read-only in it's attributes.

Marcster.

blake.arnold
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I pulled this off of another web site.

Our office is sharing a document on a network drive. The file rarely requires changes. Is there a setting to prevent accidental modifications?
No, but there is a Recommended read-only option at the file level. If this option is selected, the user will be prompted with the following when he tries to open the file:
filename should be opened as read-only unless changes to it need to be saved. Open as read-only? The response choices are Yes, No, and Cancel, and they will function as follows:
Yes - will open the file as read-only. Changes cannot be saved.
No - will open the file so that it can be modified and saved. Cancel - will cancel opening the file.
To set this option on a file, open the file, and from the Tools menu, select Options. Choose the Security tab, and place a check mark in the "Read-only recommended" check-box. Choose "OK" to save this setting, then save the file. This will permit you to modify the file when needed without having to change file attributes, but it will remind the others that it should be opened as read-only.

As far as I know security has to be enabled for this pop-up to occure. If not is there any vba code on the document?

Marcster
06-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks Blake,
I unticked the checkbox and all is working as it should.

If not is there any vba code on the document?
Nope.

Marcster.

blake.arnold
06-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Glad to help :cool: