PDA

View Full Version : Removing multiple booksmarks from one combobox selection

cfbrian
06-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi
I have a document that has a few topics of related information, grouped in pasages spread over the entire text (similar information but in different wording). If I want to use a certain topic, I would have to go through the entire text to delete the unrelated passages. It is quite tedious!!

I have created a combobox with 5 items, relating to the 5 topics. My intention is, when I pick one of the selection, click 'OK' the code will go through the document and delete all the text that does not pertain to the wanted selection.

I have placed enclosed books throughout the document. As far as I know, even with similar topics, I have to name them different e.g. Jupiter_1, Jupiter_2. (I am a newbie, please advise if I can do it differently.)

Also, how do I write the code to delete all the bookmarks without having to spell out the different bookmarks repeatedly :

With ActiveDocument
If ComboBoxApplication.Value = "Mars" Then
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="Jupiter_1"
Selection.Delete
End If
End With

If ComboBoxApplication.Value = "Mars" Then
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="Jupiter_2"
Selection.Delete
End If
End With

Thanks

fumei
06-14-2006, 03:07 AM
True. Separate distinct bookmarks 9a s they are Range objects) must be explicitly named. So.

A chunk of text bookmarked as Jupiter_1
A chunk of text bookmarked as Jupiter_2
A chunk of text bookmarked as Jupiter_3
A chunk of text bookmarked as Jupiter_4

You want to delete all the bookmarks relating to Jupiter.

Have your combobox pass the topic to delete to a Sub, like:Sub DeleteTopic(strBM As String)
Dim oBM As Word.Bookmark
For Each oBM in ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
If Left(oBM.Name, Len(strBM) = strBM Then
oBM.Range.Delete
End If
Next
End Sub

You pass the parameter to the Sub from the combobox, assuming that you will do this with a commandbutton.Sub CommandButton_Click()
Call DeleteTopic (Combobox1.Text)
End SubThe commandbutton sub calls the DeleteTopic Sub with the text of the combobox. Obviously you would have to have the combobox items match the bookmark names, as in:

Combobox items

Mars
Jupiter
Comets
Saturn