PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Filter by Form Lock out?

MichaelS
06-21-2006, 03:53 AM
:help I have a database which resides on our server and is often used by 6 or 7 users at a time.

My problem is. Sometimes if one of us has a filter by form open and somebody else tries to open the database the message comes up something like this, "cannot open database X, it is locked for editing by user Y".

Closing the filter & then the form seems solve this but it can be a pain in the **** for the user who has to close the filter.

Mike:ack:

OBP
06-21-2006, 04:04 AM
Mike, there are alternatives to "Filter by Form". You can create your own search form that will not tie up the database at all.

MichaelS
06-21-2006, 05:14 AM
OBP

Thanks for you interest.
Sounds like fun, I'll give it a go. Just a hint in the right direction please

Regards

Mike

OBP
06-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Mike, I usually use an unbound form with either text boxes or Combo boxes for entering the required search data.
What are you currently filtering by?
Can you post a zipped copy of the database on the forum?

MichaelS
06-22-2006, 07:30 AM
OBP

Thanks again but my employers wouldn't appreciate me sending a copy of the database, sensitive. However I shall mess around with an unbound form etc. as you suggest and let you know how I get on.

Mike

OBP
06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Mike, if you get stuck you can always delete all the data from the tables and then post it on here.
Or I can send you an example of a search Form/Query. Most of the work is actually done in the query where you use either exact value or "Pattern" matching to filter/retrieve the data.
If you need an example private mail me your email address and I will send you one.

MichaelS
06-27-2006, 05:38 AM
OBP
After a bit of a struggle with the "pattern" criterior in my query,Query & Search form work well.
Thanks for the tip.
Mike