PDA

View Full Version : Solved: How do I delete data in Access?

DaveR
06-22-2006, 02:44 AM
I realise that this should be a simple answer but as I have no knowledge of Access it's causing me difficulties!

Here's my problem....

I currently have an Access database with 1.7 million postcodes. What I am actually trying to do if do a lookup from Excel but thats on a different thread!

However, a kind forum user has suggested I send the files to him to see where the problem is. When I delete the data to make the file more manageable (its 103MB) the file size doesn't change.........

What am I doing wrong?

Can some please explain in simple step waht I need to do delete the data perminenetly so I can email it?

OBP
06-22-2006, 03:23 AM
Try repair and compiling the database, it could be that although the records are registered as deleted Access may be holding the Indexes in place.
To repair and compact close the database but leave Access open, go to Tools on the Main Menu and "Database Utilities".
browse to that database, choose it to repair and then save it with a new name (like "oldname" v 2).
I don't know why you are doing a "lookup" from Excel when Access can do most things that you would want to do with post codes.

DaveR
06-22-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the help. It worked!:clap:

The reasons I'm doing it in Excel is;

1) I use the Lookup data (X,Y) to plot onto a UK Map within Excel (It's very pretty!)
2) Users at work struggle enough with Excel, if I used Access.....
3) I know very little about Access but am quite proficient with Excel
4) If I keep the Access DB seperate and just do the Lookup then this won't slow don't Excel with 1.7 million postcodes to manipulate! (Thats the theory anyway!)

Yes, I know I should really should learn Access..........