PDA

View Full Version : Lost links to shortcuts

Tenspeed39355
06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi guys Well I have made a mess. I have a number of shortcuts on my desktop. When I click on them I get an error message stating
there is no program to go with the icon. How can I get the shortcut icon to open the web site? Thanks
For some reason I could not log in as I have in the past so here is my e-mail address. Tenspeed AT comcast DOT net
Thanks for any help
Max

Ken Puls
06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Max, I just edited your post to remove the hyperlink from your email. Posting your email address like you did is an invitation to spam bots to collect your addy as they troll through the web. :)

FYI, also, if you have any issues with logging in, just send an email to admin AT vbaexpress DOT com, and we'll try and help you out. :)

Zack Barresse
06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Try re-associating your file type. On windows XP machines, Control Panel | Folder Options | File Types (tab), ensure each has the correct associate and change if necessary.

HTH

Tenspeed39355
06-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Zack Thanks for your reply. I have a question on re-association of the short
cuts. I have been able to get IE to work. The problem is this. I have shortcut
icons to web sites on my desktop that still say that there is no program
to go with the shortcut icon. I have gone to the control panel and look where you said. I still do not know how to attach the program to the icon
on the desktop. I have tried to highlight the icon and then go to the control panel, folder options, file types what do you mean by correct association.\? What changes do I do? I do not see the shortcut icon under
file types?? Thanks for you help with this as I am up the creek
Max

Ken Puls
06-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi TenSpeed,

You'll need to figure out what type of file it is... HTM? HTML? or something else?

When you go into the file types, scroll down the list until you find the same file type as your desktop shortcut is pointing at. Click on it so that it is selected, click Change, then choose the appropriate program (IE for web stuff).

HTH,