PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Changing Indents

mdmackillop
07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
The attached document is part of a 40 page ducument formed by copying content and pasting into a new template. Unfortunately, left and right indents are slightly out of alignment. I'd like to increase the left indent of all paragraphs by 0.3 and set the right indent to 4.6. Any suggestions?

fumei
07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Do you mean the right edge should be 4.6 in from the right? Won't that be rather scrunched up?

Uh, Malcolm....ahem, a judicious use of styles may be handy....

There are lots of those "extra" paragraphs that drive me crazy.

fumei
07-05-2006, 07:22 PM
BTW: p.Range.ParagraphFormat.LeftIndent + 0.32

Althoughwhen I run this, it does not really improve things much.

fumei
07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Oh, and I got to say....trying to fit text within a background graphic CAN be done, but man-o-man..it is just asking for pain.

Wait......it isn't a background...you did this as a HEADER/FOOTER using lines and boxes...oh my lordy lordy. You are a brave soul. Yikes.

OK, whole other ball game. Hmmmmm.

fumei
07-05-2006, 08:13 PM
OK...here is how I would do it. I am assuming you are stuck with the "background", and that your text must fit into its dimensions.

1. Make a table, of four colums. Align them to meet the vertical structure of the "background". OK? Now the colums will fit to the background.

2. Design Styles FOR EACH COLUMN.

I am unsure of the design of your text layout. But it really does not matter.

I am attaching a sample of what I am talking about.

Column 1 ( with A10, A110 etc etc) only has two formats, as far as I can see. One bold, one not bold. So there are two styles: Col1Main, Col1Sub.

Column 2 is more complex, but not overly so, if you can precisely define what you want it look like.

I have:

Col2Main - Times Roman, 11 pts, Uppercase, indent 0.3
Col2Sub1 - (eg. THE PROJECT) - Times Roman 11 pts Uppercase, no bold, indent 0.3

Col2Sub1Items - (eg. Name) Times Roman, 11 pts, Titlecase

Col2Sub2 - (eg. The Tender Drawings are) - no here is where I amj not sure of your design. Do you really want it indented that far???? In any case, Times Roman 11 pts, indent 1.0.

Col2Sub2Text - (eg. the text under Tender Darwings are..)

In ALL case, I have removed the left/right indents to dtart with. Except where EXPLICITLY desired, all indents and justified have been removed.

Yopu can fiddle around with these to get it precisely the way you want.

The point being is that you are - in essense - acting as if it is a table. Trying to fit it into the "background" structure.

So make it a table. I removed the border of the table, so it will not be seen. This way you can structure your text layout to each column...in fact...the way you want it to.

fumei
07-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh, and that way you can add the space between paragraphs WITHIN the styles - and get rid of those extra paragraphs.

What I am saying is, you are trying to make it look like it fits a table, so make it a table, and use explicit styles for explicit uses - ie. each column and each type of text in each column.

BTW: you don't have Option Explicit in your code modules. Tsk tsk tsk.

JohnnyBravo
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
BTW: you don't have Option Explicit in your code modules. Tsk tsk tsk.

I think it's hilarious you're chastising a VBAX KB approver. LOL.. :rotlaugh:

Malcomb, are ya gonna take that lying down?! :doh:

mdmackillop
07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Well Johnny, there's no-one above the law here, and the higher you are, the more is expected, so don't hesitate to point out errors keep us on our toes.

JohnnyBravo
07-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Well Johnny, there's no-one above the law here, and the higher you are, the more is expected, so don't hesitate to point out errors keep us on our toes.

No way... i'm so new to VBA, I couldn't tell my hind end from shinola. :tongue2:

fumei
07-10-2006, 10:36 PM
I am NOT chastising Malcolm....OK, but just a little. I have the upmost respect, and would never have mentioned it except with all due regard for his position......and THAT leaves it open for all sorts of comments.

:rotlaugh:

mdmackillop
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
......and THAT leaves it open for all sorts of comments.

:rotlaugh:
Agreed. :beerchug:

fumei
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Besides, if I ever venture into Excel-land (shudder....) I am sure to make some outrageously stupid statement that will comes right back at me.

Shrug. No big deal. Hopefully Malcolm is taking this with a grain of......hmmmmmm

mdmackillop
07-10-2006, 10:41 PM
No problem,
I've got Johnske to keep me alert over there.:whip

fumei
07-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Glad to assist in your pursuit of something kinky. Although...I would not know....don't whips HURT??????

Just kidding.

JohnnyBravo
07-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Glad to assist in your pursuit of something kinky. Although...I would not know....don't whips HURT??????

They don't hurt as much when you have leather chaps on.

(....and uhhh no, I am not speaking from experience :D).

MOS MASTER
07-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I think it's hilarious you're chastising a VBAX KB approver. LOL.. :rotlaugh:

Malcomb, are ya gonna take that lying down?! :doh:
LOL! :rofl:

mdmackillop
07-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi Moose,
Long time no see. Is the hunting season over?
Regards
Malcolm

MOS MASTER
07-11-2006, 09:30 AM
:rotlaugh: Yes it is ... I've barely survived it this year... the hunters are everywhere. </IMG>

Glad to see you too Mac! :hi: