PDA

View Full Version : Insert scanned signature

mary
07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi All, please help. :banghead: :dunno

I would like to be able to insert a scanned signature based on several things. Obviously, the main issue is security. The scanned signature will be stored in a secure hidden folder within our server (which only I will have access)

Steps are as follows:
u allow user to click on a macro button to insert the signature
u the system will recognise the users? Windows login and based on that, locate the ?correct? signature
u once the ?correct? signature has been located, the user will be prompted for another password before insertion (just another level of security).
u Once all security levels have been successful, then the system inserts the signature at the cursor position
u User are to have only 2 attempts to insert the incorrect password (similar to the login Windows process)
u once the signature has been inserted, the image and image details can not be located in any way (no links, no image name, etc). Manipulating; copying and pasting should not be available either.
u Additionally, i would like the manager?s personal assistant to be able to insert their manager?s signature BUT to have a separate password or different security level.
Also, Is there a way a history log can be recorded i.e. how many times a signature has been inserted; number of attempts; who; etc?

fumei
07-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Most of these are do-able, although it is NOT trivial. However, could you clarify:
u once the signature has been inserted, the image and image details can not be located in any way (no links, no image name, etc). Manipulating; copying and pasting should not be available either.What do you mean the image can not be located?

fumei
07-06-2006, 02:49 PM
oh, and
The scanned signature will be stored in a secure hidden folder within our server (which only I will have access)the user will HAVE to have some access to this...otherwise how could the file be retrieved? It will be the user who will be running the code...not you.

mary
07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
thanks for the clarification :yes much appreciated.

i think what i'm trying to say is i don't want the user to be able to 'discover' the filepath of the image in any way. Therefore, a user cannot insert the scanned image from the insert menu.

Killian
07-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Hi Mary,

I'd agree that it's all quite do-able in respect of managing/inserting the pictures, keeping a log of access etc, but I'm not sure how you are going to "lock" the image once it's inserted to prevent it being copied (unless you protect the whole document).

fumei
07-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Actually, it is fairly easy to prevent a ("normal") copy of the signature image. Put it between two Continuous Section breaks, and protect that section for forms. The user can not select it to do a copy.

However, you know, there is NOTHING you can do to make this 100% secure. Nothing. A user could very easily do a PrintScreen of the page. Better yet, make the View 150%, THEN do a PrintScreen. This will give them a larger image dump to work with. Dump that into any image processor, slice off the rest of the screen...voila! A copy of the signature image. And there is NOTHING you can do about that. There is no way to disable PrintScreen. It is deeply buried in the OS; it dumps the video stack. In other words, if you are going to display that signature as a graphical image, then someone can get it as a graphical image. It is not a Copy/Paste - as you CAN prevent them from selecting, and doing a Copy/Paste. But..who cares? They CAN get the image of the signature. So if the security of access to the image of the signature is paramount...you are out of luck.

I could have an identical file of that signature, that I could use, in under five minutes.

Other than that, yes, a bit complex, but what you are asking about is do-able.

fumei
07-07-2006, 11:48 PM
PS. even if you spent the money and got a professional level watermark application to watermark the true image file, the screen dump would retain that watermark.

JohnnyBravo
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
However, you know, there is NOTHING you can do to make this 100% secure. Nothing. A user could very easily do a PrintScreen of the page. Better yet, make the View 150%, THEN do a PrintScreen. This will give them a larger image dump to work with. Dump that into any image processor, slice off the rest of the screen...voila! A copy of the signature image.

Yes I agree. The user (if he/she is computer savvy enough) could even do a File > Save As... and then save it as a HTML file. The output will then contain the signature (image) and the user could pluck it out of the html file as well.

fumei
07-10-2006, 10:32 PM
You could lock out a File SaveAs. You can lock out copying anything into another application. You can do lots of locking out of stuff within an application...but you CAN'T lock out PrintScreen.

fumei
07-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Uh, so Mary...do you want to move any further with this????

mary
07-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Uh, so Mary...do you want to move any further with this????

Hi Fumei....yes please. :)

fumei
07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Then you should ask. What exactly do you want to move? Have you done anything with this?

mary
07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I would've replied asap but I have just come back from holidays. thank you for your explanation re no foolproof method of 'locking' the scanned signature as such.

Due to my limitation in VBA, i don't know how to proceed and would really like your help.

fumei
07-18-2006, 07:25 AM
OK, I am willing to help, but I am not willing to write this for you. You have to do the work. So.....

What have you done?
Have you ever made a userform?
Do have any idea how to get the user's login so you can identify them?
Have you ever inserted a graphic into Word?
Where, EXACTLY, is this image to go?
Are you doing this from a template, a .DOT file?

As stated, this is NOT a trivial exercise. It is not really really really hard, but it requires careful and very precisely defined requirements.

Tell me what you CAN do, and we'll see how things go.

My first suggestion is to make a userform with a button that places an image into a document. Once you get that we can try to make the enhancements that fit what you want.