PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough System Resources ... etc

Cyberdude
07-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I have one workbook (not my largest, and similar to others) that is inclined to trigger the message "Not enough system resources to display completely.". I can usually do a little more work on it if I close then restart Excel. I've searched Google and this forum, and the only thing I've come up with is that it is probably connected with the imbedded charts. This particular workbook has 6 charts that are very similar to other workbooks that have 16 charts and no problem. However, it's true that I usually get the message when I'm using the sheet containing the charts.
Does anyone understand what "resources" I'm running out of? I checked for excessive numbers of AutoShapes, and while I DID find lots of hidden AutoShapes on other workbooks, this one doesn't seem to have any. (Incidentally, on two other workbooks I found 920 hidden rectangles that I had to delete, but that's another story.)

Jacob Hilderbrand
07-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Set your zoom setting to 100%, and that should resolve the issue.

Cyberdude
07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
In this workbook I normally use zoom at 62%. I know, I know ... why the weird number? It has roots in the original design about 7 years ago. (It's like asking why don't they make railroad tracks separated farther apart.)
I tried making it 100%, but everything was so large that I couldn't do much. I DID make a first stab at changing the size of all the charts and all the related buttons and other nifty things I use. It can probably be done, but it's gonna take quite a while before I reach the point where I can determine the success (or lack thereof). If it doesn't work, I'll probably have a few choice words for you. :devil2: Actually, I read something about that somewhere, but was just reluctant to go through what it would take to make the change. Do you by any chance have some first hand experience about that being a successful workaround?

Jacob Hilderbrand
07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Did you change the zoom, close, save, and see if that at least resolved it (even if it isn't an option)?

I have had similar problems and it was when a chart or listbox was partially off the screen when the zoom was not 100%. Changing the zoom fixed it.

Cyberdude
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
OK, Jake, I completely rebuilt that sheet from scratch with the zoom set to 100%. It didn't help. What did help somewhat was to remove another sheet that had a few charts on it. But when I replaced that sheet, then I started getting "not enough resources" errors again. Actually I was getting it before replacing the sheet also. And I was getting "too many cell formats" errors as well. I have to face up to it that for some reason that workbook has too much stuff in it. That's strange too, because the sheet giving me problems had just 6 charts on it, whereas at least 3 other workbooks I have that are similar have 16 charts on a sheet, and no problems. I found that I could get around the "too many cell formats" problem temporarily if I changed just one cell at a time, which is just the opposite of what I had heard elsewhere.
But thanks for the advice anyway. :igiveup:

lostin_space
07-14-2006, 04:21 AM
I'm having this same problem - and it only started when i began using a couple of forms in my workbook, to get user input... i've set those to be modal & also unload them via vba, but it still continues with the same 'not enough system resources' no matter what i do!

however, when i give the excel app to other colleagues to use on their machines - they have no problems at all!!

i'm actually on the verge of calling the corporate helpdesk, and asking " 2gb of ram please, and don't spare the horses my good man!"

Cyberdude
07-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, lostin. That's interesting, because when I first starting using userforms on my last computer (with less memory and Win 98), I finally gave up on them completely because they seem to use too many resources. I am only now starting to get interested in userforms again, so I'll see if they cause me problems on my newer machne with more memory.

OBP
07-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Have you tried increasing your hard disc virtual memory allocation to about 2 or 3 times the recommended amount to see if that does anything?

Cyberdude
07-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes, I just changed it from 768 / 1536 to 1000 / 3000. My memory monitor showed that I never exceeded 78% of the paging file and the RAM never exceeded 32%. And I was able to trigger the out of resources message. The thing that usually triggers the message is when I scroll back and forth across the 6 charts I have. I have a lot of various data computations occurring on the worksheet for each chart, and maybe that contributes to it, although I never overload my processor.
As I've said before, this workbook has just 6 charts, and I have 3 others that each have 16 charts with no problem.
Weird. Thanx for the suggestion.

P.S. I have added Application.Volatile (False) to all my VBA functions.

malik641
07-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey Sid,

What version of Excel are you using? And what types of charts are these?