PDA

View Full Version : Solved: What are some common file size factors?

compariniaa
07-13-2006, 11:12 AM
I have a coworker who's run into a strange problem:

Every month she downloads some data regarding a group of business units and analyzes it and gives it to her boss.
She then gives another manager a version of the same file. this version is the same as the first except it focuses on a smaller number of business units (which were included in the first file)

So, in theory, the second file should always be smaller than the first. This month, she did the first file (the bigger, mama file). It was 3mb. Then, when she made the second file (a derivative of the first), it came out to 53mb. Neither her nor I can figure it out.

As far as we can tell, no sheets, rows, or columns are hidden. Any ideas as to what may have caused this explosion in file size?

lucas
07-13-2006, 11:14 AM
How is the second file derived from the first?

compariniaa
07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
the second file is the first file filtered to show only specific business units rather than all of them. however it's not filtered like autofilter (hidden mismatches). rather, the entries that do not meet the criteria are deleted. sorry for not being clear

lucas
07-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Is the deleting done manually or with code?
Is the second file created with copy and paste or do you make a copy and delete the extra's?

compariniaa
07-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm not exactly sure how it's done. It's certainly not done with code (because the project I'm working on right now is automating that exact process), so I guess it's done manually (with Excel's normal tools though). And if I were to guess, I'd say she copies and pastes instead of deleting extras

By the way, thanks for helping me out with this :)

OBP
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Hello compariniaa, how is it going? :hi:
Why not repeat the exercise, take the mama file and delete the records and see what you get?
It does sound a rather strange outcome. If you need a hand with the automation you know where to come. :thumb

lucas
07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm not exactly sure I can. I'm just asking questions that come to mind hoping we'll run across a possibility. Also maybe someone else will pick up on what might be going on. I guess its possible that the problem could be occuring during the copy and paste operation. I would suggest making a copy of the original and try deleting extra's and see what happens.

compariniaa
07-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi Tony. My name is Andre by the way.

I just got an email from her and she told me she had been copying the entire worksheet into a new book and then modifying it. She also said she tried copying and pasting the range instead of the entire sheet and it fixed her problem.

Kind of confusing:dunno

OBP
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Andre, that is Microsoft products for you. :rotlaugh:

compariniaa
07-13-2006, 03:22 PM
haha...and just today I was thinking about how I had yet to come across and Excel bug........oh well, I guess I'll just mark this as solved