PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Data Capture from Attached Device

smugdruggler
07-14-2006, 03:55 AM
Hy Guys,

I have a program that captures values from a photospectrometer (measures color values) connected to a USB port. I then have to export these as csv into a spreadsheet to manipulate them. I would like to capture this data and feed it directly into excel.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could proceed?

Any help gratefully received.

lostin_space
07-14-2006, 04:24 AM
"back in the day", i used to be a techy in mobile data capture.. where we used hand held pc's in conjunction with bar-code scanners... alot of the bar-code scanner back then & nowadays are USB, and they'll scan straight into word / excel / txt files etc - they use something called a 'text bridge' to convert the captured data and squirt it into normal office apps - that might be worth a dig into.. (there lots of code avail. on places like sourceforge for that kind of thing btw..)

smugdruggler
07-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the info LS, but I must be using the wrong search. I haven't been able to find anything on scourceforge for 'text bridge'. Nor anything else to do with data capture unless its video ot mp3 stuff.

Any further thoughts?

lostin_space
07-14-2006, 07:40 AM
have a look at 'Handheldproducts' website, Unitech, Symbol, Datalogic etc - they've got SDK's available (you may have to register etc...)

i'm 100% positive it's do-able, as their USB scanners capture & convert bar-codes directly to text! they do SDK's for VB / C / Deplhi etc, so, i'm assuming it's gotta be 'friggable' somehow for your use...

smugdruggler
07-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks again LS, loads for me to get on with.