PDA

View Full Version : displaying jpg or gif in a form

bturner2
09-06-2004, 03:27 AM
I was wondering if any could help me with a project I am doing.

What I am trying to do is build an access database to record all the information and digital photos for a kids ID program for our local school. The problem I am having is getting the form that I have designed to display a gif or a jpg file. I can get it to display a bmp file with no problem. I understand that I have to have a graphics filter installed to get it to display these file types. I checked and these filters are supposed to be installed. Any suggestions? So how do I display a jpg or gif on a form?

I would also like design the form to display a thumbnail of the picture on the form and when it is double clicked it would bring up the picture in another form at its original size and have the ability to print the picture from this second form. The second form wont be a problem but the thumbnail of the pic on the first form is giving me problems. Any help or suggestions anyone would have for this project would be appreciated.

VicRauch
09-06-2004, 11:52 PM
To get a thumbnail, all you need to do is set the field to the size you want the thumbnail to be, then set the Format property "Size Mode" to "zoom" and the picture will zoom to the size you give it. Hope that helps.

If you have the photo in the table as an OLE object, then just include the field on the form and it will display.

bturner2
09-07-2004, 05:21 AM
To get a thumbnail, all you need to do is set the field to the size you want the thumbnail to be, then set the Format property "Size Mode" to "zoom" and the picture will zoom to the size you give it. Hope that helps.

If you have the photo in the table as an OLE object, then just include the field on the form and it will display.

Yes I do have it in the form as a OLE object and it will display bmp files but will not display jpg or gif files. I will try your suggestions on the thumbnailing. As you can tell it has been some time since I have worked with access, so I am having to learn it all over again.

bturner2
09-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Ok I have gotten it to display gif and jpd files. The easyist way to fix this was to install MS photo editer. It bound the photo filters to the office package. Now what I need to do is be able to pull the ictures from a folder on the pc, rather than having them imbedded. I am not shure if an unbound OLE object will do what I want it to do or not. I dont want to have the pictures in the database at all. THis should help keep the size down. Will an unbound object strictly pull the photo from a folder on the pc? If not can anyone suggest the vb code that I need to get this done and some simple instructions on how to do it. Thansk for the help.

Ziggy1
09-07-2004, 07:59 PM
This is a link to a post I answered on another forum there is a sample DB you can download in yet another forum, that I found useful to setup a DB with Photo's.

http://forums.techguy.org/t166816&highlight=pictures+ziggy.html

Anne Troy
09-10-2004, 12:48 AM
If anybody needs the password to that photos database to get into the code, the password is pumpkin.

The link is http://www.theofficeexperts.com/downloads.htm#AccessDownloads

And it's called MyPictureBook or something like that, hee hee...