PDA

View Full Version : Unespected Large File

makako
08-01-2006, 07:23 AM
I have been working with a template on different files. Suddenly, all of them grew from 1 MB to about 20 MB. but i cant see any image, any extra info, etc. I created a sub that looks for data in the cells and found all of them empty, also, there are no hidden rows or columns. Finally i erased all data but no changes can be seen in the file size. Also there is no shapes. Can any body help me? thanks. Is there any way to delete objects?

pd: i tried to post the zip file but it is 2MB and the limit is 256 KB. thanks

Wizard
08-02-2006, 05:47 AM
Excel can sometimes think the used range is much larger than the area occupied by data.

Try deleting all the rows & columns below & to the right of your data by selecting them (all the way to row 65536 & column IV), and clicking Edit->Delete (or right-click & Delete). Don't just hit the 'Delete' key, that just clears the contents - we need to really delete them. Then select cell A1.

Repeat for all sheets in your workbook (including hidden sheets), then save & close.

This has worked for me many times.

makako
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
the thing is i deleted all data to find something else (pictures, objects, etc) but i cannot loose the data in the worksheet. I have tried copying to a new page the data and the problem continues, thanks

geekgirlau
08-03-2006, 01:53 AM
When you copied the data, did you copy the entire sheet or select the used cell area, copy and paste into a new workbook? I would recommend you use the second method; if there are unnecessary blank cells included in the used range, these will be copied over as well if you copy the sheet.

Cyberdude
08-04-2006, 07:50 PM
You probably didn't do this, but remember that adding a large macro can add to the overall size of the workbook too.