PDA

View Full Version : Cntrl+/ What Does It Do?

Cyberdude
08-14-2006, 01:02 PM
When I want to type a question mark ("?") I have a habit of accidentally pressing the Ctrl key instead of the Shift key before pressing the "?" key (which is also the "/" key). The result is that I press "Ctrl+/", and Excel responds with the message: "No cells were found". My questions is, what does "Ctrl+/" do? :bug:

Norie
08-14-2006, 01:26 PM
From help.

CTRL+/ Select the current array (javascript:HelpPopup('xltip9.hlp','xldefArray');), which is the array that the active cell belongs to
Though I've no idea how this works because I get the No cells found message whatever I select.

Ken Puls
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi guys,

Example workbook attached. Put your cursor in one of the yellow cells and press CTRL + /

HTH :)

Cyberdude
08-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Ken, I hate to be dense about this, but I tried it, and nothing seemed to happen, except it seemed to select the array in column "A". None of the values changed ... BUT I didn't get the message!
I gotta say that I have a hunch that this is a tool I won't be using often. :devil2:

Ken Puls
08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Exactly, Sid. That's the point. :)

When you have one cell in the middle of the array, it will select the entire array, not just the one cell. Personally, I never use arrays like what I uploaded, as there is no need to build one like that. I did inherit one though, and in order to break it, you have to select the entire array. This function could be handy there, I suppose.

Can't say it's a keyboard combo that I keep sharpened in my toolbox though. ;)

Bob Phillips
08-15-2006, 12:19 AM
When you have one cell in the middle of the array, it will select the entire array, not just the one cell. Personally, I never use arrays like what I uploaded, as there is no need to build one like that. I did inherit one though, and in order to break it, you have to select the entire array. This function could be handy there, I suppose.

Even if you do use this type of block-array formula as I do, you do not need this keyboard combo. Just select any cell within the range, and update it within the formula bar (CSE), and the whole range gets selected.

Zack Barresse
08-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Just as a note, this type of array is different than the other types of arrays associated with the worksheet. It's an array of cells, not an array formula.