PDA

View Full Version : Testers needed

johnske
08-21-2006, 06:00 PM
This is one of four similar types of freebie workbooks I threw together and distributed 'locally' last week.

It's almost entirely event-driven code and intended to make life easier for organizers of archery competitions.

I've just returned from a competition over the weekend where they tried it and all I'm told is that it 'it stopped working' at some point when they tried to enter scores.

I'm unable to get it to fail in this way and would appreciate anyone able to duplicate the error letting me know just how they got it to fail.

TIA,
John

PS: the attachment also includes a 'completed' workbook that I'd previously used for testing purposes...

Desert Piranha
08-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi John,

When you enter more than one Competitor on the "Entries" sheet, of the test workbook.
Only one Competitor (the top one) will show on all the other sheets.

On the "Results" sheet the only data is the Name & Club, rest is blank.

malik641
08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
I've just returned from a competition over the weekend where they tried it and all I'm told is that it 'it stopped working' at some point when they tried to enter scores. Didn't test it yet...just want to comment on this. I hate it when people say this kinda stuff. That's like going to a dealer to talk about your new car and they say "what seems to be the problem" and the customer says "it don't work".....and they expect the dealer to know what went wrong.....der :roll:

johnske
08-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi John,

When you enter more than one Competitor on the "Entries" sheet, of the test workbook.
Only one Competitor (the top one) will show on all the other sheets.

On the "Results" sheet the only data is the Name & Club, rest is blank.Hi, thanx,

You must use the validation list to enter the divisions - if you enter anything other than a valid division that entire entry will be completely ignored on subsequent sheets (that wasn't the problem anyway, I was there when they were doing that part of it and there was no problems with it).

There will be nothing other than Name & Club shown on the "Results" sheet until some scores are entered - did you enter something for that?

johnske
08-22-2006, 12:28 AM
OK, I think I may've found the problem. It seems to revolve around this (modified) bit of code in the "Results" sheet which alternately entered or erased the data If .Columns("D:I").Find("*", LookIn:=xlValues, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row = 8 Then
ScoringStarted = False
.Range("D8", "K" & LastRowSheet8).ClearContentswhich was thrown in as a 'clean-up' for the instances where all previously entered scores had been erased. Deleting theasterisk appears to fix it If .Columns("D:I").Find("", LookIn:=xlValues, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row = 8 Then
ScoringStarted = False
.Range("D8", "K" & LastRowSheet8).ClearContentsI should probably be looking at special cells (Blanks) to do this properly.

In the meantime I would appreciate testing by others of the modified attachment on this post to see if a problem still exists.

TIA,
John

Desert Piranha
08-22-2006, 08:24 AM
In the meantime I would appreciate testing by others of the modified attachment on this post to see if a problem still exists.

TIA,
JohnHi John,

2nd one is working OK so far.

When go to "Save Results as an Archive" if i click NO or Cancel i get an error of:

Method 'Save as' of object '_Workbook' Failed

johnske
08-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi John,

2nd one is working OK so far.

When go to "Save Results as an Archive" if i click NO or Cancel i get an error of:

Method 'Save as' of object '_Workbook' FailedHi Dave,

Thanx for the heads-up on that one, can easily fix with Application.DisplayAlerts = False ... I found out on the weekend that the ppl that'll be using this are ultra paranoid about security - their security setting are so high they have to enter a password every single time they click a link on the net, so I can only imagine what they'd do if they got any kind of error message :)

Regards,
John